Lets see your fleet..

4 grand doesn't seem like a lot for two crews running saws each day. Not only the amount of usage, but also the degree of maintenance that probably can't be done because of busy.

How do they make the big bucks if so poorly run?

Back in the day (early 80s) I worked for a similar sounding outfit. Most everybody was drug addled on pot and coke and booze (not that that is the case at davy), everybody beat the living shit out of the trucks and gear, so all the gear they bought was always the smallest and cheapest, I used all my own gear except for climbing saw. Guess what? They got bought out by The Care of Trees but they were basically insolvent and went out of business. Probably 10% of their people were productive tree men.

From many of your posts, Nick, you guys sound very productive, but this thread makes me wonder how!

I dont have the answers man. For the most part we are just like any other tree service, each territory is run like a small independent franchise with support from corporate. For the most part utility keeps the lights on, there margin is way lower but the revenue is WAY higher.

Our revenue per employee is actually really low. My father in laws company did $2 billion in revenue, with 200 employees. We did $750 million with 7000 employees.

I could make more money waiting tables at the the cracker barrel, thats the saddest thing.

Well you are doing way better than the tree service you came from, last I knew, so that's good. I presume you are biding your time...

Besides, who the fock would want to wait tables at cracker barrel?

No doubt, but, cracker barrel or tree man, cracker barrel or tree man......hmmmm

Working for one company, my guess is that it much gets concentrated, the good and the bad. Freelancing and working for a few different outfits, my vast experience with other blokes doing the same thing, is that they are great workers and fine people to be on a job with. One guy that came to the occupation later in life from something completely different, more an in office capacity job, he is kind of slow on the uptake, I see him standing around when he shouldn't be, or he will often walk by something when he could be picking it up. Not particularly lazy, he just doesn't quite get it. He is liked, so people will cover for him, I guess you can say. Drugs and drink is basically a non existent issue. When it comes to people running the show however, the ones that took in the work and are there at the job running it, I find drastic differences. All basically hard working, but some dudes see you as pretty much use and throw away, or their tempers are out of control because of being stressed by the job, and want to pay as little as possible. Others out there, are the kindest of the kind, well understand what you are putting in and want to let you know that they appreciate it with different sentiment including pay. Working for the second type, definitely adds meaning to life. The first type i can only tolerate because i know that jobs will be coming up with the second kind.

ha! spoken like a true tree guy. But you gotta just love tree work, it's like a steady magnet drawing you towards it, the good the bad the whole show it's awesome.

jp:D

Its like a drug problem. As your body and mind waste away you just keep doing more of it then you did before.

Back