Let's Hear It For 3 Strand!

Yes. Get some cheap natural 3 strand when you are learning to splice, it holds its shape much better making it easier at first. You will need to tape the ends more often with poly ropes, and often work to maintain the twist of the ends.

I oughta try my hand at splicing it too. I’ve always thought it’s a pretty fascinating skill. Not much else to do these days, and I got some stiff 3 strand Dacron. Flips nicely up a spar, would make a fine pine lanyard, only stiffer lanyard I’ve used was a steel core.

That's how we made our steel-core lanyards; 5/8 manila with 3/16 wire core laid into it, and terminated at the ends with cable clamps.
Likely not as strong as we thought, but luckily never hit one with a screaming saw.
Always made our own lanyards and flip straps - by the time this photo was taken it was synthetic triple twist in use (about 28 years old there), still made up as before.

Look at that dangerous loop I captured on the back of the tree - hadn't hauled it tight.

Lanyard.JPG

What's the setup there? I'm having trouble seeing it through the shower of chips. The looped rope just seems to die. I can't find the end.

It's continues around the spar, and it's the same rope below my wire-core; the tautline hitch right in front of me, with the long tail with the stopper knot hanging down...

I worked a water safety gig for a Disney production at a local State Park. We provided water safety for the actors, stuntman and camera crews as they worked on a local river. The stuntman had with them their own sets of rigging gear that we worked with also. They had quite a few 9 to 12 foot sections of three strand that they would use for whatever miscellaneous purposes they ran into for securing gear Etc. I found it very handy just to have some of these laying around to grab as needed. I'd like to have some of the exact rope they were using. Seemed to be a blend of cotton and polyester or some such.

All due respect, lordy I hate 3 strand, the hockling used to drive me nuts.

I worked a water safety gig for a Disney production at a local State Park. We provided water safety for the actors, stuntman and camera crews as they worked on a local river. The stuntman had with them their own sets of rigging gear that we worked with also. They had quite a few 9 to 12 foot sections of three strand that they would use for whatever miscellaneous purposes they ran into for securing gear Etc. I found it very handy just to have some of these laying around to grab as needed. I'd like to have some of the exact rope they were using. Seemed to be a blend of cotton and polyester or some such.
I have used that stuff I hated it, it seamed to want to stick to everything as it was so fuzzy, I much prefer a hard lay 3 strand.

I need to get off my butt, and learn some splicing. At least 3strand. I have a piece of broken hardware store rope for the first attempt, then go to Promaster, and finally Treemaster.

Do you use any tools for the Treemaster?

Nice looking tools you made there, treesmith

Back