Anyone use dip it whip it?

Mesquite

Treehouser
Has anyone used dip it whip it or liquid tape to stop fraying? What I'm thinking about using it for is to cover the eye of a splice to help it with wear and tear and anything else I can think of. Some fibers don't melt so I was thinking this would be a good way to seal the end of the rope up. Any thoughts?

That’s what I used for naked eye splices on hitch cords, works great to prevent picking and fraying. I put the lid on hand tight, and went to use it maybe 9 months later and it was dried up. I used more than half of it and it wasn’t terribly expensive, not a big deal.
We have some methyl ethyl ketone at work, I was thinking about trying to reactivate it but didn’t get around to it yet. Maybe I had some dip on the threads for the lid and it leaked/ vented and that’s why it dried.

Great product though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
a while ago some acrylic paint spilled onto the floor in my shop which is concrete and it seemed almost rubbery when it dried there was a lot and it was thick. i got some acrylic paint on a scrap hank. i will let yous know the out come. a little tube of that paint is like 2 bucks and it comes in every color you could imagine and colors you had no clue existed.

I tried the dip, it was ok... kind of hard.
Unless I whip it with sail maker thread, I just tape and melt with a small torch anymore. Of course when it gets warm... but the melted cut end seems to hold it together fine till later. Just don't let it go too long.

I got a new load of rope in today, super excited, I got this 3/8 beeline e2e made and whipped! I painted the eyes with white acrylic paint. It looks good and is flexible. We will have to see how the durability is.

Attachments

• 20220305_184903.jpg
    20220305_184903.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 5
Well the acrylic paint is a no go, it's to soft. I think I'm going to pick up some water base polyurethane, that has great uses and I'm pretty sure I have heard dipping the eyes in it helps with picks and fraying

Back