Lanyard Innovations

I learned climbing with the motion lanyard (associated with SRT).
40' rope, 4 biners, 2 hitches , and soon 2 pulleys, all fitted to the central (and onliest) point of my roc climbing harness:roll:.
Very handy because you can switch continuously and as needed between a small drt system and a lanyard, and that with each side. Nice for the alternating climb.
One downside is when you go down, like said Burnham, you manage to end always with the max length on the side working in drt at this moment, and absolutely nothing left for the lanyard side. So you have to climb up again to take some slack and clip the second side (as a lanyard) in the nearest crotch.:X

For me, the tangle wasn't worst than with the other systems and the middle part didn't catch very often the stubs or the falling branches. But the rope tends to spin under the friction hitches, and you can get soon a nice twisted mess between the two hitches if you don't care about it.

Now I climb with two separate ropes, because of the downside point above. 70 ' + 30' or 30' + 13' , depends of the tree. And with the 200' SRT rope if needed, eventually rigged either in srt or drt. A little messy but very practical in the large deciduous trees.

Burnham, It would be great to see your 'Motion Lanyard' drawing, please. I remember the concept from long ago but have forgotten the details. I would very much appreciate you posting that jpeg ... thx, Jack.

Here it is...but I think it's the same as bonner posted.

Attachments

• motion lanyard diagram.jpg
    motion lanyard diagram.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 55
That motion lanyard looks to be a bloody hemorrhoid. If one was to keep it on on their saddle all the time.

It looks to be no different that what I would do using the tail of my climb line for a second tie in. As I do some times in a dead, crispy cracker I'm taking down.

I carry 25ft of 10mm line in my harness bag. functions as a 2nd lanyard or 2nd short rope. Either way it avoids that hideously untidy looking configuration.

So really...that loop in the middle doesn't get hung up enough to drive you crazy? I guess not, or you wouldn't love it, now would you :|: ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The loop hangs towards the back, initially i had a quicklink on it which i clipped to the ring on that side. It was nice cause it kept it straight back.

As is, I don't find it bothersome, when I am not using the strap it all pretty much hangs straight. I fluffed it out to show it and the rope I am using Is really stiff. I had a nicer spliced line from ABR and it got shut in a door so i had to replace it. It really fell nicely with that, it was Blaze i think, 11mm.

I will likely replace the quicklink as I only took it off for something else.

Quite an old thread, Nick, I know. After these years passing by, what is your opinion about your posted lanyard and the use of the shunt in this case?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards!

Uwe

I have this double sided lanyard adjuster. When heavily weighted it will release by pulling down on the bottom arm, otherwise it will release much like the Bulldog Bone, with the top arm. It is made with SS arms and nickel plated friction links.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5LJ7OuSLomQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got an extra Rook/ Hydra pulley clanking around the gear bag, so threw this together. Works well, can use cheap bulk cord. I’ll try a shorter hitch next time, distel or knut or michoacan.
Haven’t seen anyone do this before, but can’t see any reason not to. An extra small DMM Bat Plate with the big hole tending the hitch would be a cheaper way to do the same thing. 690F6897-4D12-4A74-A987-4A86C87A6027.jpeg

Cool idea, have found a two wrap micho to be smother for me than distel. Looks like it could be quite compact.

I'll defer, having never felt the need to find a better lanyard hitch than the distel. Let me emphasize...lanyard hitch :). On to other purposes, the distel does sometimes show some limitations.

The Michoacan has always looked like a fine hitch, to my eyes...but even though I have tied it up a few times just to get the feel, it never floated my boat sufficient to seriously use it. No slam, just my perspective. I'm beyond sure it's a good friction hitch.

Jonny, what about your lanyard have you not seen anyone do before?

The only issue I can see some having a problem with is how it loads the plate. They’re designed to be loaded in line with each other. I personally think that it’s fine for that application though. Same as my thought on using a steel biner to choke off on a four foot diameter spar.

I was wondering that too. I doubt it’d be allowed in competitions or with some of the line clearance companies but that’s not my thing anyways.

It should be fine. When it is under load it will be more inline with the intended loading direction. Plus, we load rigging plates like that on bridges all the time. The pulley itself has been taken out of any life support function.

Back