Lanyard Innovations

I like alt lanyard technique, use it quite a lot...don't get me wrong. I'd just much rather use two seperate single head lanyards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like alt lanyard technique, use it quite a lot...don't get me wrong. I'd just much rather use two seperate single head lanyards.

Burnham,

I think the way i have it set up you would like it, it is very much like having two lanyards but with one adjuster and less clutter. For that matter you could use 2 pieces of rope in the same adjuster (shunt) but having one rope gives it more flexibility in the case you need one longer lanyard.

I don't want one adjuster :). I want two completely seperate lanyards.

Your system would still leave me with most of the rope out and nothing much to work with when I want to advance the second head.

The loop below the shunt would be a continual hassle to me, as well. Always was with other DEDA lanyard set ups I've climbed with.

a little tricky to dial in, but I found this system unbeatable

to each his own...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p7BUQDTtpVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is what I use to use on my old saddle, I liked it a lot. With the treemotion though I like to be able to switch between the lower and upper d's, so I switched back to carabiner and a micro pulley.

I see the need for long lanyards, but for what I do day in and day out, an 8 footer works just fine.

I like the lanyard in Nate's vid too, cept its committed to the side D, I like the versatility of being able to use it elsewhere if the need arises.

I see the need for long lanyards, but for what I do day in and day out, an 8 footer works just fine.

I like the lanyard in Nate's vid too, cept its committed to the side D, I like the versatility of being able to use it elsewhere if the need arises.

Ditto. Why I use a biner and a micro pulley. I can switch out to my 5/8ths cable core and back in a snap. Or shorter line if want. Or connect to a different point... Bahbahdah bing... babahdah boom.

i use my long (18') lanyard as a second tie-in quite often (ie, on my bridge). i agree with most here that if i need two lanyards i will move my climbline to the side dee and away i go. did a prune job on a large walnut last week and found myself wanting a third tie-in, so i used the tail of my climbline with a good ol blakes. i must be always vigilant or my saddle will gather gear to itself in sneaky piece-by-piece fashion like a magpie.

aluminum, stainless steel, technora, nylon, and just about anything shiny. i was, however, lucky enough to get the saddle with the aversion-to-really-expensive-stuff feature

And I don't see the sense in short ones.

DEDA never worked for me...I'd always end up with 12 feet in play on one side of the adjuster and nothing to work with on the other...stupid idea imo.
With all due respect, that's a bit strident, isn't it? Understandable: "DEDA never worked for me." But ... "stupid" ? ? ?

It is committed to the side D.

That can be a good thing too. Versatility is also a chance for more things to not be in the right place or not hooked in at the right time. More things that need a visual confirmation of attachment equals more time. I am all for simple systems.

To each their own, but I would go a long way to avoid an extra biner or pulley on my saddle.

I never understood why some folks haul a bunch of biners, redirects, etc up a tree. I look at the job at hand (each tree) and only bring with me the things I will need. He who knows a lot needs little ;-)

I can't stress enough, to each their own. What works best for you is best for you. I am a big believer that it is not the gear or gadgets that save time near as much as the ability to visualize the work to be done before you get the gear out. That way, when it comes time to do the work, you are quicker as the work comes from a visceral place and there is not time wasted on making a decision on every individual cut or positioning change. This keeps the decision making centers free to make a plan for the next pick, 10 cuts a head, or even the next tree. This is what saves time imho.

With all due respect, that's a bit strident, isn't it? Understandable: "DEDA never worked for me." But ... "stupid" ? ? ?

I'll be so strident as to call it stupid. :P

Seems like the extra gear and extra line inconvenience would far out weigh the utility of having an extra end.

To each their own is a truism.
Set ups are not only dialed in for a climber, but for their work or play environment. It is what works for who, where and when we are on what.

Of course that does not always necessarily apply to a gear junkie :lol:

I like to keep things simple. I used a Gibbs for several years then changed to my present system & never looked back. I use a Distel friction hitch on this because of its very reliable ability to lock on life line with out ever having to be set first.

This way is far more versatile than any system using a Gibbs or any other mechanical device that only locks one way.
Picture 028.jpg Picture 030.jpg Picture 031.jpg
As this next pic shows I all ways have rope on my saddle ready to go! That excess that drops down to my foot is tied up neatly with a quick release so it stays tidy & out of the way when not in use

Picture 032.jpg As I said I always have rope on my saddle with this system is ready to climb. Enough in most cases for smaller trees
Picture 033.jpg I like have the ability for a second tie on my saddle at all times. On my saddle using this system does not create the the conglomerated cluster clump of crap that using the tail for this purpose can create at times. Having it on my saddle saves time vs. pulling up my tail for the same use.

Most of the trees I get are removals that some one else doesnt want to do. Few are what I would call giants but a lot of them are dead as a cracker. I have come to depend on the options this system gives me while doing this sort of tree.

Like you Butch I find it hard to change when some thing works well for me.

There's nothing wrong with keeping it simple, that's for sure. If it works fine, I don't blame anyone for not changing.

Unfortunately, I'm a gear head and I'll admit, I like trying new pieces of equipment out. If it doesn't work out, I'll go right back to what has always worked for me and not look back.

We are about the same age I find the older I get the less desire I have for new stuff. That is until it is obvious the new is more efficient.

Back