Lanyard ascender placement

Lanyard ascender positioning

• Up Close

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Out Farther

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I never liked that little folding ring on the 200t, so I just attached a short loop runner and a biner to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really? I love the hell outta it, I just clip it to my 'lil keychain thingamabob and I'm good 2 geaux!

That clip sometimes closes and it's a PITA to open with gloves on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In that case I would force it to stay in the open position. I guess I've never noticed that cuz I always have my thumb and forefinger cut outta my gloves. We just don't get that cold here.

I never liked that tiny ring on the back of the 200T either. Too small and tucked away to easily clip on my saddle with one hand. Before the 200T, I used an Echo 3400 for a climbing saw and used a short strap girth hitched on the rear handle. When I started using the 200T, I did the same thing. It's kind of in the way sometimes but it's better than having to use 2 hands to hang up my saw every time.

You can see the strap on the handle in this picture.

From that. The 200 has a built in "ring," why add another ring? :?

Ahh ok I see.

Try to follow along ;)........I use the Stihl Lanyard to attach my 200T to my bent gate biner. Stihl offers TWO lanyards, one with a snap and one with a RING. I prefer the one with the RING over the one with the snap.

I slightly see the confusion, but I think old age played a part in it too........:P

Shorter & closer = better for my flipline. I like the idea of a link you can cut in an emergency though. However it would sure be a major pita the rest of the time.

I use the same chainsaw lanyard for my 200T. I like it 'cause it lets me drop the saw if I have to have both hands free to handle a piece and can dangle my saw in 2 positions: either just below my feet or right at my hip.

A few climbers in this area have over the years used a short loop of light line as a "cuttable link" in certain situations. For example if you're wrecking out a tree that is of questionable integrity whilst you are hanging out of another tree or two nearby. If the tree starts failing while you're on it, it is easier to slice through the light line and not be dragged down with it.

This all started when we were hired to cull the trees that were a hazard in a forest with horse trails throughout. I was working for a friend at that time. He was topping out large branches in a 100+ foot tree before dropping the pole. He was using a wire-core lanyard which he had placed below the branch he was removing, made his undercut, and before he could even start the back cut the branch tore loose. Turns out the twist of the grain was such that the fibers at his undercut (about two feet out on the 22" diameter branch) twisted around in just two feet of distance and were the holding fibers at the top, right next to the trunk. As it ripped free the upper fibers ran down the stem about 10 feet, pulling him into the stub. He was sore for about two weeks with a lot of abdominal bruising. Ever since he will only use a lanyard if it has a cuttable link.

Back