Landscaping/decorating ideas

I was leaning the way Willie is, herbs, tomatoes, stuff that will take the heat. Add a little bistro style sitting area or a freestanding porch swing... Don't think I would be too interested in a yard full of cacti. *ouch*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always like growing edibles. Don't know why I didn't think of that. A porch swing, or a little table and chairs and some tomatoes it is. Thanks guys. Now for you Mr. Burnham. Yes, that's correct I have used the you know you're in trouble now title of Mr. and I've had just about enough of your shenanigans. I'll see you at the GTG my mischievous friend. If you bring the Wife I'll be forced to delay my retribution, so let this serve as your first and final warning.

I kinda like it the way it is. Looks nice and simple to me, easy to keep clean.

It does take about 5 seconds a week with the blower. It did have some little weeds coming up through the cracks that in keeping with my policy of poisoning the planet at every opportunity I killed with a combination of Round-Up and Weed Wacker. That would go in the garage Butch.

I see a few of those around Butch. I'm not a motorcycle guy but I'm sure the gas mileage would be pretty good.

If you had plants in large planters it could be a seasonally changing area. If so, make sure the planters will hold up to being moved, and you have an easy way to transport them, like a dolly or hand truck. Possibly cooler weather things for the cooler season, and heat loving edibles in the warmer times.

OMG - no pygmy date palms; they're viciously thorny and nothing you'd want anywhere near where people would pass closely by. I like the planter ideas and be sure to put them on wheeled trolleys so they can be moved around if you find the afternoon heat-sink effect too much for them. If you decide to go with vegetables, go for the ones that really like the heat - generally the Solanaceaes (tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos, etc..) will work well in containers. If you choose tomatoes, make sure they are determinate so they don't overrun your containers and the entire area.

Brugmansias do well in containers and are gorgeous and exotic, but the plant is poisonous. So take care if there are small children or incorrigible, plant eating housepets.

Get a good book from the library about container gardening and have at it.

You could have some wider boards around the edge of the planters, to sit on and catch some rays. Most patio furniture is pretty tacky unless you want to spend some bucks.

A good friend of mine's a landscaper. That boy makes some dinero! It's surprising! And WAY lower insurance rates...

I'm in the wrong bizz!

A good friend of mine's a landscaper. That boy makes some dinero! It's surprising! And WAY lower insurance rates...

I'm in the wrong bizz!

You're right about the insurance costs, but they show up in other places - depending on the equipment he uses. Landscaping (including lawn work: although true landscapers don't count lawn work as REAL landscaping - a whole other can of worms) is just as competitive and cutthroat as tree work. If your friend is doing well, good on him - it's a tough business with a VERY high learning curve. I specialize in perennials and bulbs: that is (literally) thousands of plants I need to be familiar with (height, zone hardiness, spread, bloom times, color, etc..) I can't count the number of times I've been called in (after someone else has 'done' the work) to fix it.

Back