Stack of Lumber ... any idea for the value ?

mdvaden

Treehouser
The stack of lumber is next to a workshop I helped to reorganize at a camp where our son and his wife moved. It's been stored outdoor, under cover, and appears to have very little cracks. It seems to be in excellent condition, straight, and stacked on an even surface. The property has pine, incense cedar and Douglas fir. It does not look like pine, could be incense cedar, but I'm guessing Douglas fir. About 2/3 of the tall stack boards are 12 feet long, the rest 8 feet long, milled to about 1 inch and 2 inch thick, and 6 inch and 12 inch widths. The shorter stack to the left, are mostly 2 inch thick, and 8 feet long.

Any suggestions on what the stacks are worth, in case they decide to post an ad to sell these?

They don't need the wood, but could use the money for other improvements to the cabins and old historic house.

Z3_1600.jpg Z2_1600.jpg Z1_1600.jpg

Give or take...about a million dollars, :D.

Actually...maybe $750 to $1000 per hundred board feet. Your description is too loose to give a total dollar estimate. But if you do the math, allow for realistic defect...decent money there.

What something's worth and what you can get someone to pay you for it are usually very different, especially during uncertain economic times. Unknown species doesn't help, economy doesn't help, not finish milled doesn't help, imo not being hardwood doesn't help, large enough pile to maybe need multiple buyers doesn't help, and trying to find a buyer isn't gonna help. Maybe your area is different, but around here rough sawn being sold on craigslist would bring around what construction grade stuff would. Good luck to them, but i wouldn't be hopeful on getting full price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What something's worth and what you can get someone to pay you for it ... SNIP ... Good luck to them, but i wouldn't be hopeful on getting full price.

That's why we would probably aim for someone wanting something that can't be found in a construction grade stack. When I go to the local Home Depot and home building supply, there's nothing they carry that looks like this. Time is something they have in abundance, to wait for a buyer where the wood can fit a certain need. Whether it's a week or a year.

I wasn't implying that it was construction grade stuff, i was saying around here rough sawn hardwoods, like oak or maple, wouldn't bring that much unless you happened to find a very motivated buyer. My buddy burned a ton of rough sawn oak in a bonfire because he couldn't even find someone to come get it for free from his house, and he's a carpenter by trade. He built a ton of stuff with it, but in the end decided it wasn't worth his time feeding it all through a planer to get it to where he could actually do something with it. So when he couldn't even give it away he simply torched it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't implying that it was construction grade stuff, i was saying around here rough sawn hardwoods, like oak or maple, wouldn't bring that much unless you happened to find a very motivated buyer.

Yes .. one buyer is all we'd be waiting for. Not the people looking for something else. If someone needs rough lumber, then planed lumber is of little value to them. It would be harder to put a natural rough sawed finish on planed, than it would be to get rough sawed if needed.

Back