Landscaping/decorating ideas

stehansen

Climbing Up
We have this space by the walk into our house that is doing nothing and I think looks kind of dumb. Any ideas for utilization of this space. It will be seen from the street so no nude lawn art. I thought about some wine barrels with stuff in them or pots. I'm inexperienced at this as my Wife always did this kind of crap, I mean super important activity. It's approximately 6' X 15'.
s

Attachments

• Photo1746.jpg
    Photo1746.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo1747.jpg
    Photo1747.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6
How bout some patio furniture and some planters with decorative grasses and or shrubbery? Maybe some potted Jap Maples?

A nice little area to sit after work, unwind, have a brew, a smoke, whatever, just relax and people watch.

Spruces are nice because they dont grow symetrically. If you plant one next to a house it will just grow out from the house, never towards the siding.

On a serious note, how about a rain barrel system or something more functional than decorative? Does it rain alot where you live?

Do you rockclimb? I have always wanted an outdoor bouldering wall..

Maybe a hottub and a grill?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have said that this gets the sun in the late afternoon. It's pretty nice this time of year but in the summer it will be about 110 degrees there at 6 o'clock. It would be nice as soon as the sun goes down as far as a sitting around spot.

I kinda like it the way it is. Looks nice and simple to me, easy to keep clean.

Agreed. Make it your outdoor sitting area and go with the retractable awning thang, orrrrrr make it permanent. Spruce it up with a 'lil cool potted plants and shit and you'll be good to go.

Maybe remove the pavers and add some landscaping plants if you don't anticipate wanting to hang out there. Maybe the back yard is the place for chillin', especially with afternoon summer sun.

Could be a good spring and fall area. I still could see something different than the pavers. It would be good to know if there is soil underneath or sand/ gravel.

What about a number of Redwood planters for against the wall, then plant to your liking. I say a number of them, because it might be easier to make than one long one. You could have a trellis going up as well. I also think a hedge on the other side of the walk would look nice and differentiate the spaces.

If there are other residences close, I don't think that people like to normally sit in front of their houses, but I could be wrong. Maybe abnormally.

Ain't nothing wrong with sipping tea on the front porch when the weather's nice.

Take in the scenery, like. :drink:

reflective heat from the house will be an issue so hardy plants are essential, simple things..raphiolepsis, wheelers dwarf pittisporum, a night blooming jasmine for fragarance, star jasmine for ground cover , a few roses for color, a large rock for interest, maybe a pigmy date palm for interest in the middle, i could go on and on with ideas

I can try but its not the growing zone I am familiar with. Whats the exposure Ste? South?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The front door there is facing west and that garage wall is facing north. It would get the sun reflecting off of the wall in the late afternoon. Maybe six o'clock on in the middle of the summer. There are some people in the front of their houses in the evening. A lot of kids in the neighborhood. Playing football in the street and such. The soil is clay loam. It may be a place to avoid in the middle of the summer, but the rest of the year it would be OK.

Anything in pots will probably need a timed irrigation in that exposure. I like blueberries and you can do them in pots easily. Maybe a couple pop up table awnings and a bunch of potted edibles with a drip system along the wall and wheels under the pots

Back