Keeping warm

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
Hey guys so it has been unusually cold here in se PA recently and I have been having a terrible time keeping my fingers and toes warm. They are usually the only things that ever bother me. I just recently purchased a set of smart wool socks but with steel toe boots they still get cold. What is everyone else wearing to keep their feet warm? My fingers are also a problem for me, they always bother me in the cold. I tried the atlas thermal lined gloves but they do nothing. Any good recommendations? I have a big crane removal coming up on Wednesday and its going to be about 12 degrees so being cold is the last thing I want to worry about.

Don't wear steel toes or you will never be warm. Buy some relatively cheap thinsulate lined muck boots and put some of those charcoal hand warmer thingies in your gloves. Helps some

300.JPG

In the "how'd it go today" thread here, there is talk of warm boots. Beyond that, dressing the rest of your body so it is utterly unquestionably warm should help your fingers and toes. Also, climbing in 12*F is going to pretty challenging no matter what, imo.

I'd rather be cold than waste a crane ride;)

Im in the same boat dude. There is some recommendations like cory said in the other thread. I cleaned the driveway up for ten minutes today and came in to show ashly my toes. I had no capillary refill of blood in my toes. Bright white. She made me swing my legs to get blood to them, i guess bad things happen without blood.:lol:

What I'm saying is there is probably something wrong. Ie- go to the doctor. I don't go there but maybe you do, good luck!

Don't wear steel toes or you will never be warm.

Sorel use to make a fiberglass/plastic safety toe pac boot that worked good logging.
But if our only option was Steel toes we went with out at below freezing temps and wore just standard toe pac boots.
For hands we wear over mittens covering liner gloves. Then if you need to do something fine you had a glove on still. Carry plenty of dry gloves also.
Or switched to heated grip saws.

B read up on Raynards, sorry it can be a bad deal. My mother has lost 2 toes to it so far. I just purchased some electric toe warmers for riding my bike in the cold

http://hotronic.com/products/fw/index.html

They seem to work OK, I rode 1 1/2 hours the other day when it was 21 degrees out and I was far from warm but I wasn't crying. They are pricey.

As to the body thrust idea, great until you get to TIP and then stop all sweaty and freeze.

When it is really cold I work in the machine shop:lol:

Keep your core warm and your fingers and toes will be warm. I wear a neck gator, like a scarf but minimal bulk, and that helps big time. On the REALLY cold days stay home.
This winter I got lucky and turned into stay at home dad until march and the way this winter has panned out I am all for it.

A good insulated hunting boot works well in the winter as a work boot, and I've found they have pretty stiff shanks, but low heels. Otherwise, if it's really cold, or i'm going to be standing around outside, Baffins and Kincos.

Baffin technology makes a steel toe winter pac-boot which is pretty much the industry standard up here.

Kinco gloves will keep your hands warm, but they'd be hell to climb in. I'm thinking neoprene might be the ticket if it's really nasty out. otherwise those wool-knit gloves with the rubberized palms seem to keep my hands warm enough. . .

We use layering as i suppose all of the rest of you do. I am really warm blooded and will be out in shirt sleeves when others are bundled up like Ralphie in the christmas story, but my hands and feet get cold if i am not moving. Arctic sport Muck boots are what i wear with cotton socks. Some people wear wool but i have found that my feet will sweat and then get cold. If i wear cotton socks in muck boots my feet will get cool but not cold. I find that if my boots are tight that my feet get colder more quickly. I have not found a sure way to keep my feet warm if i am not moving though. I wear thin gloves made of leather and thinsulate and if i am not riding a four wheeler my hands will remain pretty warm.

Here in arctic Manitoba I always wear steel toe boots. Even down at 40 below, I wear the orange rubber bottom leather upper Husqvarna boots 1 1/2 size larger then my normal size and wear the felt liners with the shiny reflective outer surface. Feet are always warm even when up on a spar with spurs.
Hands you have to wear 1 trigger finger mitts with matching wool liners. Easy to slip on and off to tie a delicate throwline slip knot and your hands will always be warm. Five finger gloves of any kind don't cut extreme cold.
Top it off with a proper fitted wool helmet liner covering the nape of your neck and the zipper on ear flaps if you don't wear muffs..
I wear 2 different thickness one piece long john wool under wear depending how cold it is. Madsens still sell them...Stanfields wool one piece made in Nova Scotia Canada.

Cold fingers here too, feet not so bad. I have attributed it to a circulation thing. I don't find that keeping my core warm much is a help, can feel real toasty everywhere but the fingers are in pain. I've tried putting the carbon heat packs on the back side of my hands in a little fabric holder made for that purpose that will go under gloves, but it doesn't seem to much help the fingertips. I was checking out some rechargeable battery gloves that a Harley rider friend of mine uses, they are real nice with a couple settings and hold a five hour charge. The seem quite effective, and would probably be very helpful when setting up in the morning, but a call to the distributor about if they would last with the vibrations of a chainsaw, they were skeptical. An ongoing problem, but along the lines of what Wllard recommends, can't help but think that mittens would be better than gloves. Haven't tried them yet, and a hard time finding decent ones here unless you are a mountaineering type with a trust fund.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot of great tips! As for hip thrusting to stay warm as Cory said you can't pass up a free crane ride!

Im in the same boat dude. There is some recommendations like cory said in the other thread. I cleaned the driveway up for ten minutes today and came in to show ashly my toes. I had no capillary refill of blood in my toes. Bright white. She made me swing my legs to get blood to them, i guess bad things happen without blood.:lol:

What I'm saying is there is probably something wrong. Ie- go to the doctor. I don't go there but maybe you do, good luck!

I get the same way. Most days I have to sit in the truck for a few minutes to warm up my hands and feet. I'm not much of a doctors person either but if I can't keep my hands warm I might have to.

Here in arctic Manitoba I always wear steel toe boots. Even down at 40 below, I wear the orange rubber bottom leather upper Husqvarna boots 1 1/2 size larger then my normal size and wear the felt liners with the shiny reflective outer surface. Feet are always warm even when up on a spar with spurs.
Hands you have to wear 1 trigger finger mitts with matching wool liners. Easy to slip on and off to tie a delicate throwline slip knot and your hands will always be warm. Five finger gloves of any kind don't cut extreme cold.
Top it off with a proper fitted wool helmet liner covering the nape of your neck and the zipper on ear flaps if you don't wear muffs..
I wear 2 different thickness one piece long john wool under wear depending how cold it is. Madsens still sell them...Stanfields wool one piece made in Nova Scotia Canada.

Lots of great tips here. Thanks! I'm going to check into the mittens with liners. At this point I will try anything1

One reason I like cranes is that the exhaust is an awesome heat blast. He'll be setting up the outriggers and I'll be warming my hands like an idiot.

B read up on Raynards, sorry it can be a bad deal. My mother has lost 2 toes to it so far. I just purchased some electric toe warmers for riding my bike in the cold

http://hotronic.com/products/fw/index.html

They seem to work OK, I rode 1 1/2 hours the other day when it was 21 degrees out and I was far from warm but I wasn't crying. They are pricey.

As to the body thrust idea, great until you get to TIP and then stop all sweaty and freeze.

When it is really cold I work in the machine shop:lol:

Sure, if you wear cotton on your skin. The days of getting soaked in your own sweat and freezing are long over.

Butch, its been proven that it can help. But even aspirin recommends consulting with your doctor before going on an aspirin regimin. It doesn't help everyone.

Don't forget the simple things. Cover your head and ears. Tuck everything in. In WI on COLD days I'd tuck one layer into my underwear, next into my liner pants, next into my work pants.

Merino wool socks. Do it.

In fact, merino wool liner pants and a merino wool upper layer, too.

Have a wind proof wind breaker. Not a flannel shirts- not a canvas jacket- but actually wind proof.

love
nick

Back