Changing roles.

Exactly.

That's why I asked Dan a few weeks ago, because he is so skilled, why he didn't go out on his own

Last edited:
IMO it's the responsibility of owning a Co. that sucks at times. The bills, the making sure your guys/gals have work so they can live, the payments, the bills, the work comp, the taxes, the hunting down work so everything gets payed, the repairs, the taxes, the other taxes, the taxes we haven't even talked about, the insurance, the bids, the balancing of work and family life, the dealing with random odd ball nut job people, the commercial customer who thinks net 90 is ok, the disposal of material, the payments to the payments, and finally is what you make a year, if there is any. IMO it's a lot of stuff to keep track of being the Big King Ding-a-ling or Big Queen Ding-a-ling, gender respective. it's not for everyone.

absoultley.

I mentioned all that same stuff to Dan.

It's definitely not for everyone, nor is it necessarily better than being an employee .

But if a guy knows the operations side of the biz inside out, then that can be a huge leg up should he want to start a company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@flushcut it really dosen't suck at all. I love doing this job, and working through the challenges. It was a figure of speech I guess. High five!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@cory I kinda feel like I am right where I belong. My crews are going to be awesome! I can see it already. Nothing is really holding me back from side work either. I have full boat benefits, and a stable gig. I did have my own thing going at one time. All the things that @flushcut said did suck.

I think the only thing that sucks at the moment is being so far from home at times. I'll have a lot of time home for the holidays thank goodness.

I appreciate you folks chimming in!

I think “embrace the suck” is from the military
I won’t ask my guys to do anything I won’t do. I also go on the suckiest jobs and work with them. Not only do I do the most complicated work but I will also get in a ditch to drag brush. I’ve even been caught with a rake a time or two
Edited because I have yet to be caught with a take

Last edited:
I think in Dan and Rich’s shoes, purely on what I read on here. I’d be fairly ok with being an employee working for the tree cos they work for.

Good machinery, good work, good benefits, real career advancement and being part of a company going places.

What so you guys think of that Jocko W...Willinick (sp) special forces guy that I think Cory brought to the house?

Jocko was a member of the treehouse?

I wish!

He is a retired navy seal who has written good books on leadership as well as written kids books. He has a popular podcast which is where that vid clip came from. I first learned of him on Rogan

the crew seems to do pretty awesome without my help. But I find myself raking more than ever.. As an employee I never appreciated the importance of the raking and sweeping. Now as the boss, I realize its the most important part of the job and I get frustrated that the crew doesn't ever seem to fully grasp that. I find myself raking more than ever these days and also sweeping the shop. My job has gone full circle, started with a rake and now back to the rake.

Back