John Deere diesel problem

PCTREE

Treehouser
Ok so any of your guys have any ideas about these symptoms, my morbark model 17 has a John Deere turbo diesel in it and today after running it for a while I idled it down and noticed that it was idling high, 1000rpm as opposed to usual 500. I checked that the throtle arm on injector pump was going all the way back to the stop. When I went to shut it down it kept running, I thought oh sh#t the turbo is leaking oil. I disengaged clutch and put a piece of wood in to stop drum and then stalled motor with clutch. Engine oil isnt low and turbo and intake are both dry. So whats the problem:roll:??????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im leaning towards an injector pump problem but cannt see how the variable idle and the fuel shut off are linked??????

That is a puzzle. Erratic idle is caused by a governor in the injector pump wearing out but not being able to shut it down?

It has a Roosa-Master pump?

If something came apart on the governor I suppose it could have taken something else out with it.

fuel solenoid on the not shutting down problem. high idle may be air in the fuel system?

I was wrong again, its a stanadyne pump.Seems too coincidental to be 2 seperate problems but maybe.

Check youre air filter and intake hose for blockage. But it really sounds like the shaft for the govenor is worn and not getting full movement.

I'd be checking for little things first.

Sounds more like a electrical problem than a mechanical one. The first thing I would check is the key switch.

For what it is worth I am not a diesel expert either.

Does yours have a rocker switch for the idle control? Mine went bad a few months ago, and it was only about a year old. Quick easy fix though.

What year is the engine, and is it new enough to have any electronic controls? Or is it the old shut on and off with a key switch and the throttle is controlled by a cable or rod? Air in the system is the only user fixable thing I can think of.

two ways to shut down a diesel engine, turn off the fuel or block the intake. id bet on a loose wire to the fuel solenoid or bad solenoid. as to the high idle im guessing at the air scenario

What year is the engine, and is it new enough to have any electronic controls? Or is it the old shut on and off with a key switch and the throttle is controlled by a cable or rod? Air in the system is the only user fixable thing I can think of.

it is a 94 chipper, no electronics just a cable onto the inj. pump for throtle and 1 wire to get shut off solenoid to run

it is a 94 chipper, no electronics just a cable onto the inj. pump for throtle and 1 wire to get shut off solenoid to run

My guess is there is something wrong with the pump, but about all that you can do is to change the fuel filter(s) and make sure the pump is getting diesel to it. If you do remove the pump yourself the only advice I can give you is to use whatever measures are necessary to make sure no dirt gets into the fuel lines. Mechanics usually have a set of caps and plugs to do this, but you can use tape or whatever. I usually have a mechanic do this because I'm a retard about timing things such as this. And then I take it to the fuel injection place to be checked and repaired.

It does seem like too much of a coincidence for the erratic idle and no shut off to not be from the same cause. Could the fuel shut off soenoid be a source off an air leak?

Can you eliminate the fuel solenoid by piping around it? I don't think it is a loose wire or switch. I think it takes power to open the valve.

My guess is the shut off valve, I had the same problem with my kubota. Can you move it manually?

Back