Jerry B's Fundamentals Photos

chris_girard

Treehouser
OK, so I know that you guys love Jerry's book as much as I do and have probably wondered, what the story is behind some of those awesome photos. So I thought that I'd start a thread about some of the unique pics that are featured throughout the book and maybe Jerry could fill us in on the background behind them. (I hope that you don't mind me doing this Jer).

Jerry is without doubt IMO, the best storyteller there is out there for not only climbing, but logging as well.

So, it's time for all you guys to look through your Fundamentals book ( I know that you have one), and find a pic that you like and ask Jer about it. He has an incredible memory of his work, so he can probably fill us in on some details.

I'll start off with one of my Favorite pics which appears on page 325, under PROMPTING A SIDE LEANER. I have already asked Jerry about this tree a few years ago and he was kind enough to send me an email with some info on this particular tree. Here's what he says, "That Douglas fir you're talking about was a classic side leaner to the lay scenario. My friend Wes Burns rigged it, and Brian Frost fell it. I climbed and bucked it up into logs. It was a limby (bad word). Yeah, we used steel rigging. I think 7/8's. The cat was just up the hill holding the tree from falling to the lean. Wish I had a video camera for that one because it worked out perfect to theory. It would, of course, since everything was right for it to work. The angles, the cut, the timing. "

So, that's one of my favs, what about you guys?

If you wanna learn the stories behind the shots, you really need Jerry's other book "High Climbers and Timber Fallers." Tons of good reading in there!!! I like all the pics!!!

140y9nd.jpg

Waaay too many to choose from. You shoulda said 'what are your top 30 pics!!""

Anyway, p 272. C'mon man, are you kidding me??

Hey Jerr, is it true Mike Davis could hold a 394 with a 36" bar by the rear handle at arm's length, parallel to the ground?? I mean, really??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you wanna learn the stories behind the shots, you really need Jerry's other book "High Climbers and Timber Fallers." Tons of good reading in there!!! I like all the pics!!!

Believe me Butch, I have that book and have looked at and read it many times. There's still some pics that in the Fundamentals book that have many great stories behind it, I'm guessing.

Mike was a strong man alright, but I don't recall saying he could hold up a pro saw by the pistol grip.

Page 272? In high climbers that's of John Ciro and me in Salmon Crk. In Fundamentals it's me sitting on a springboard.

Those were the days, boy. And yeah, there's a story behind every picture.

That's a good one, Chris, I have wondered about that photo as well. I get a tinge of fear looking at the lead in photo at the limbing and bucking section on page 375. That picture really gets me. I have long wondered the story about that one, if the tree was totally above ground from where Jerry has the saw stuck in, or whether there was top bind going on? Heck of a photo, and a job to buck that size above you on steep ground. :\:

By the looks of Mike in the pics in both books Jer,he looks like he was a really strong man. Do you know what he passed away of, or would you rather not say?

Definitely not a man that I would want to thumb wrassle with as you have mentioned in the past!

That's a good one, Chris, I have wondered about that photo as well. I get a tinge of fear looking at the lead in photo at the limbing and bucking section on page 375. That picture really gets me. I have long wondered the story about that one, if the tree was totally above ground from where Jerry has the saw stuck in, or whether there was top bind going on? Heck of a photo, and a job to buck that size above you on steep ground. :\:

Yeah, that is an awesome photo for sure. Jerry has seen the stuff that we can only dream about.

Yes, Jer, p 272 in FGTW, utterly massive redwood felled up a steep hill from spring boards, being held in place in the lay by stump/humboldt. Looks just plain scary to pull that off.

That has to be my fav as well. I would love to drop one that big in my life time or maybe a seven footer would do.

I like the photo on page 307. The lighting is beautiful and it is very clear. I think there is at least one more of the same faller and a similar effect. I get a feeling of timelessness.

That's a good one as well. If you like that one in B/W you really should get High Climbers and Timber Fallers some really good pics in there. The first time I read it all I wanted to do was to go cut some biggins out in the bush.

Yes, and a nice stick of wood too.

I love all of the climbing pics where you see all of the wood but no brush and no ground. Those just leave so much to the imagination. For some reason I have always liked the two on p.160. I try to think about how uncomfortable that must have been hanging there for that pic in the homemade saddle. I also love the saw hanging without a scabbard. Oh yeah, love the 3 strand rope too. I guess that photo sums up all the reasons I have so much respect for Gerry and guys like him who forged the way for us younger guys.

The truth of the matter is, when I was taking most of those pictures it was the last go around for the big trees on the timber lands, and after that it was all history. I knew it too, and that's why I took as many pictures as I did, and when I could. Though while it was all going on the thought of making a book about it wasn't even in my mind.

It wasn't until 2003 when Nick Baily looked at my photo collection and suggested that I do a book. and it was only then I took steps to start writing and putting the pictures together with the stories. Bailey's put the money up front for the first printing. After which they made their money back on the sales, and I make enough to do the second printing and subsequent third. But without Bailey's I don't think it ever would have happened.

Interesting story, Jerry. I always figured that the fact that you would take the time and do the work interruption to take photos, that you must of had a book in mind from the beginning. Setting up the camera for the remote and having things framed right and all, does take some time and requires consideration. I guess that having talent as a photographer is more than just technical ability, there is also the desire to capture things that you feel something about. Good idea by Nick.

With Fundamentals I was in hot pursuit to complete it. It was such a long project I really didn't have the time to think of doing anything else.

The climbing section is so far outdated. The good thing is the updates and revisions are already in the works. And so many good things have come about in the years since. Especially with the SRT aspect of work climbing today. 15 years ago I would have told you that would not be, but look at it. I'm looking forward to seeing more advancements in tools and technique. there's a lot of people out there thinking and coming up with some good ideas.

Sweet thread :) My favorite pics and story was the rockport tree. I now own two copies of "High Climbers and Timber Fallers"...as I was lucky enough to win a second, Autographed one, in a drawing. Gonna give the other one to a buddy. Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories Jerry...I have thoroughly enjoyed them (and learned a lot from them) all, as well as your dvd series.

Jerry, I imagine that time is a big constraint, but I'm curious if you have an interest to photograph other subjects in addition to what you are most known for and have published? Perhaps you already do? Can't help but think it would be very interesting to see your sensibilities when applied to other subjects through a lens. It occurs that being in nature for a long time is a good reference point from which to look at other things. The enlightenment from nature would seem a powerful thing to have, and the extent to which it can be applied to other walks of life.

The continuing saga of my adventures in the trees will be presented in the up coming book, Coast Redwood, Tree of Dreams and Fortune. Which will portray my life and adventures hiking through the groves of old growth, searching for and climbing the big trees for fun.

It will be as extensive and as thorough as High Climbers ever was, and present the largest redwoods known. A work I have longed to do for over 40 years now. It will be a grand presentation. I guarantee it.

Back