In the market for a chipper...

I've used Morbarks/Bandits/Vermeers/Woodsman and I will HIGHLY recommend bandit. The woodsmans are insane but they seem to fall apart more easily from what I've heard/experienced. I can't be happier with my bandit 1590. If I were looking at chippers in the 12" range I would be strongly looking at the Bandit 1290 drum. For the weight, capacity and efficiency I prefer the bandit drum chippers out of all the chippers I've used.

jp:D

We were looking into a 200UC from Bandit. It was lighter weight and no options but it was quite a bit cheaper than the 990 with the same engine. Disk vs drum...... You know that whole topic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd rather a drum. I'm not averse to the idea of buying say, a used chuck n duck if the price is right. But, I certainly think the 12" Bandit Drum is the cat's pj's and it would be great to get into something that I would get a better long term investment out of.

If you look around I think you can find good deals out there. I got mine from a guy in Florida for 20K (2004 with 460hrs). Treetrader.com is great for finding used chippers.

jp:D

I've got a 3/4 ton gmc 4x4. About a 35/65 with chip on site/haul. I will definitely be looking into upgrading trucks, but because I've spent over 6k in renting a chipper since March, it seems to make sense to me to finance something I can own eventually vs. financing the rental agent's bank account. I'd really like to find a good used 12"drum with a winch.

Glad to hear you're so busy. Sounds like sound investing. I hadn't picked up on you picking up a medium/ heavy duty truck, so I was wondering.

I started out pulling my 4400 pound cnd with a 1/2 ton 2wd. Add 5 yards of chips, and you can easily say OVERLOADED. The engine is still strong, along with my now rebuilt tranny. The rear axle hasn't complained yet, but I bet it wasn't easy on the rear end. The front was probably feeling like it was a bit on vacation.

I say skip the winch and get a loader of some sort, probably a mini and a bmg. Truck wise I'm impressed by the F550 and recommend it.

How much does the chipper cost to rent?

Minis are great and all but the winch doesnt need to be trailered, yet it also doesnt handle corners so hot and aint so kind to the turf. Decisions decisions. Just dont forget hydraulic smashy smashy lever, thats a must have!

A mini weighs about the same as 5 yards of chips (or less). Put it in the back of the truck.

I bought a chipper before a mini, that was a mistake.

I say skip the winch and get a loader of some sort, probably a mini and a bmg. Truck wise I'm impressed by the F550 and recommend it.

How much does the chipper cost to rent?

I rent it by the day/ half day. Minimum is 150, day rate 250 (280w tax). Need a chipper, bro. There are people out here who buy chips! One of the guys I contract with has a small crane truck, so forwarding material or wood is generally not a problem. But, definitely one of those fancy gehl mofos is on my list.

Back