Ice Tail

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 5K
I do like Beeline, and best I remember I gave Brendon some (5/16"). The 3/8" isn't worth it IMO, but a 4/3 FP works dandy for my heavy self.

I didn't take any you had, I did buy the 3/8 a while ago, and that's the stuff that picked. Your 5/16" felt nicer, might try that next.

I favor HRC because it's so durable, doesn't glaze at all and is simple to splice. In terms of feel, it's pretty much equivalent to 8mm beeline except the beeline looks cooler... but it will glaze. One's as good as the other. My split tail is HRC, my favorite lanyard adjuster is 8mm Beeline.

I'm 190#, use a VT on Poison Ivy or Velocity.

I think it's a crock to call 10mm 'Beeline', Beeline. It's completely different than the 8mm in terms of material, construction and splicing. It's cool for what it is (nice double braid splice), but it ain't beeline.

I've tried Icetail (thanks Rich H) and it's good stuff, works fine on PI. But I prefer a smaller diameter and a woven jacket for my split tails and adjusters.

Factors affecting performance of a friction hitch:
1. Type of hitch (blakes, VT, distel, etc)
2. Type of cord knot is tied with
3. Type of rope knot is tied onto
4. Weight the knot is supporting
5. I bet there's more I'm not aware of
Bottom line: there is no single best type of prusik cord because all of the other factors play at least as big of a role.

Personally I prefer a real stiff and firm cord like Bail Out. I've found that softer more squishy cord like Ice Tail will flatten out against the climbing line as I descend, causing my knot to feel like it's getting tighter as I descend, forcing me to pull harder and harder on it to keep descending. Eventually I can't move it at all. Firmer cords resist flattening out and stay round, thereby keeping the surface area contact and the friction they create more consistent.

That advice isn't worth the time it takes to read it though unless you are using the exact same knot as me, the exact same climbing line as me, and weigh exactly the same as me. Better advice is to try as many prusik cords, knots, and climbing lines as you can to find the one that works the best for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have just come to relize I have been using Samson's Bail Out & not New England's HRC

Back