I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

I tried 3 wraps and it wasn't grabbing every time. 4 was harder to tie with these sewn eyes but it looks and feels better. I'll try to get motivated to saddle up and load it for real. 20230617_115948.jpg

It usually cracks people up, that I, who has climbed the tallest trees in the World, is shit scared of ladders.

That set-up would make me less scared.

Maybe.

A little at least.

Ladders are the worst. I used to climb up the forms to get to the top of various structures, even with a ladder present, but that was a different time. I'd probably get yelled at for it today.

A ladder is my crutch. I can't get away from using them.

I'm still Ddrt, @SeanKroll . Srt and Rope Walker is kind of like Luke Skywalker to me. Science fiction. I'd love to try it but would have to take a road trip out your way so you can show me how. I'm sure it's not that complicated but it's hard to spend the coin for gear to climb trees when I already have gear to climb trees albeit with a lot more effort.

Here's a vid of the Ecstasy hitch in action. I liked it and will leave it tied on my lifeline to try again when I pick up a tree job. Knotorious, I didn't name your hitch in my video because I noticed it wasn't public on your channel yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Ryan That was great! Thanks for taking the time and energy to test it out AND for making a video for it. Just so everyone knows, anything I share on here will eventually end up getting shared on my channel, So feel free to name the hitch. You can link the "how to tie" videos that I shared on here in your description if you're so inclined. Once the videos are published, the link will remain the same, I believe!

Really excited that you tested it! There's something about this hitch that is visually exciting and fun to tie, and it's easier than others to dress and set. I test almost all of my hitches as part of a Rope Wrench system, so it was cool to see you test this hitch MRS! This has been a motivational week for me and this has really sparked additional enthusiasm for me to keep this up!

@Ryan Also, loving that rope and that hitch cord combination as far as colors. What are the specs on both? Always good to know for future reference.

I subscribed to your channel as well! =-D

Last edited:
Lifeline is 11.1mm Atlantic Braids Endurance Aya and the cord is At Height 8mm Flex 24". Hope that's what you wanted, I'm not much of a gear geek.
Glad you enjoyed the video. It got me to try something new even if it was just a new way to wrap a cord.

I came up with something similar a couple nights ago while working on a single eye hitch that self tends. Starts with a half hitch, yours starts the wraps from the bottom and go up, mine goes straight up, and wraps down. Found that either end works as the eye, both self tend, and when used as a double eye, works very easily.
IMG_6258.jpeg

@Ryan Hey thanks! Nothing wrong with not being a gear geek. It took awhile for me realize this, but after amassing a huge selection of hitch cords (and countless ropes as well), I've discovered that over half of them perform very well and the other half perform more than well enough. I think there's only one hitch cord that I can honestly say isn't a winner unless it gets used heavily first (8mm EpiCord, which is disappointing because the 9.3mm and 10mm diameter are phenomenal). Everything else is fine out of the gate. The Flex is one I actually am missing from my collection and I don't know why that is, but I might buy a length today. I was told good things about it. Anyways, when it comes to hitch cords, 9/10, anything you pick is going to be super good enough. I love that rope, though haha. It's fun. Reminds me (color-wise) of my Bifrost by Yale.

@Brocky Thanks for sharing! Great minds think alike!
I hadn't even thought to consider whether or not mine would self-tend easily. Good to know it does. I did consider it possible for use with double legs. I'm not used to using hitches of the one leg variety. I think the only "benefit" to my version is that the tail might be less inclined to pull through because of how it's braided. However, I don't think a stopper would be that easy to pull through their on its own in the first place. Wow, what are odds that we were working on such a similar hitch at the same time?! That's exciting!

Last edited:
I didn’t make it clear I was referring to the Esctasy, which I found was the inverse of the double eye hitch that came about from exploring what could be made by starting with a half hitch around the rope for a single eye hitch. I haven’t looked at the single eye hitch you referenced yet. Drawings might make the orange hitches above clearer, the tan hitch is a slight variation.
IMG_6263.jpeg

Last edited:
@Brocky Thanks for the clarification. That was a major oversight on my behalf by thinking you were referring to a different hitch. I need to pay closer attention to what you're actually tying versus my interpretation of your message.

Having said that, it appears that everyone seems to really love the Ecstasy hitch. I'm so glad that I gave it such a powerful name! I'll have to play around with what you're showing in your images now that I have a correct understanding of which hitch you were referring to.

If the double leg version is called the Yhatsee hitch, then what is the single leg version called? Any relation to the game, Yahtzee? Or do they share one name and just have two different forms such as version I and II?

Last edited:
I'm excited because today I finally met the threshold requirements for monetizing my channel. I received an email from YouTube with instructions and I created an account with their Partners Program and agreed to all of the terms. Now I must wait approximately one month (average time it takes) for YouTube to basically audit my channel and my videos to ensure that I meet all of the requirements, which I do. It ultimately will come down to whether or not they think I'm worth including in their program and if they believe my channel has an actual future.

Don't get me wrong, it's exciting, but it's not like I'm going to be making any significant sums of money at this point. Even if I make a fair estimate of where my channel might be in 5 years from now, the monetization from adds would amount to a very modest passive income. Thankfully, there are a number of other ways to monetize as part of the program, but very few of them fit my channel style. If I decide that I someday have more time and skill to invest into my videos and content, then I might look into supplementing with a Patreon account, but that's so far from what is realistic right now that it's stupid to even mention it.

This project has never been about making money; but it would be foolish of me to turn away an opportunity to make some extra cash to buy new and better equipment with or maybe to pay for video editing courses or whatever else. I keep my expectations very realistic and I'm willing to accept that perhaps someday I just stop creating new content because I have more important things to do. I never once thought to myself, "someday this will be profitable," but it's nice to fantasize. The real rewards come in the form of people showing enthusiasm for videos I've made and from sharing my knowledge with other people.

Well, that was quick. I woke up today and checked my channel and I was already approved for monetization. So much for a month. I am now currently going to be monetizing from ads on my videos and potentially from Shorts as well (the shorter videos). Good stuff! I'm excited to see that revenue add up. I have no idea how much I will actually make, but I know enough to not expect very much at first. The average channel with 75k followers sees anywhere from $10k to $25k in revenue annually. I only have 3K followers right now.

But since even if I just added videos to my channel, and it never increased in subscriber count, I would still continue to increase revenue over time by adding to the number of videos which allow ads. Thankfully, I expect to see more and more subscribers. For awhile I was seeing 20 new subscribers a day, but now it's half that. That's only bcause two of my videos went "viral" for a few months and now they aren't as popular. It's amazing how one video can make or break a channel. I feel like the algorithm did me dirty because my channel has sonly improved since then. Oh well. I'm still young and I'm not in a rush to achieve any type of "fame" on YouTube because I'm pretty busy with my own real life bullshit these days.

Anyone remember those Tamagotchi keychain pets? You're either my age and remember playing with them or you're older and remember buying them for your kids. They were the very first digital pets, an ultra upgrade from the pet rock, and you had to remember to feed it on time or it would die. That's how I view YouTube channels, except in order to feed it, I have to produce a video ranging from 60 seconds to 30 minutes plus on a regular basis. The only difference is that, if I were to stop making videos one day, my channel would still likely grow (albeit much more slowly) and my videos would still regularly come up in search results if they were pertinent to the search query.

Attachments

• Tamacgotchi.jpg
    Tamacgotchi.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
@Mick! Definitely going to take a hard pass on the TikTok dance. Wrong platform, my friend. Besides, I don't and can't dance. I also don't parade myself around like an asshat to win competitions. It's confusing when I can't detect your intonation via internet. I can't tell if you're being serious (let's pray for your sake that you aren't), playfully facetious, or if you're just being rude/sarcastic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Feel free to clarify.

Last edited:
Mick? Probably rude :^D
A comment can't actually be rude if it washes over me like Fiji water, nourishing and revitalizing my will to be myself. It's a lot more like "pointless." Some of us need a hobby. Talking to you, Buzz Killington.

I think I heard this first in kindergarten: If you have nothing positive to say, then don't say it at all. Criticisms can be made in a way which are positive. There is no reason to hate on someone in civil society unless you're just mean. Every negative thing you can think about saying about anyone can be said to them in a manner which is positive and/or constructive. There is no reason for being offensive in polite society unless that's just something you get off on...and then you're hardly excused. I'll leave it at that.

@lxskllr I don't think Mick is a bad guy and I'm sure his perspective appreciates respect, just not in this instance. I'm not even sure what his "perspective" is.

EDIT: Now I need to buy some Chi crystals and fix the Feng Shui of this thread with all this new, negative energy haha Maybe if I face it more towards North. Totally kidding.

Last edited:
Here is the long form video for what I have decided to call the INCEPTION hitch, which is 50% the hitch I was originally going to call the Mono Tresse (thanks to @lxskllr). But when I realized that this hitch could be tied with both single and double leg form, I needed a new name which wouldn't isolate its usability to one leg (sorry, @lxskllr! I appreciate your help nonetheless)!

Here is the link to the original post for this hitch with photo and breakdown: I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design - https://www.masterblasterhome.com/threads/i-think-hope-i-developed-a-new-hitch-design.26897/post-1129763

Here is the link to the video, which hasn't been published yet on YouTube. As always, TreeHousers see it first! It may not be a huge incentive (or one at all) to use this forum, but my hope is that, if my channel grows, and so does my viewership, people will want to join this forum so that they can stay several steps ahead of what I share on YouTube, plus the bonus of reading my thoughts about many of my hitches and reading what you all have to add to the conversation:

If anyone has any issues with me trying to popularize this forum with my YouTube content, please state your objections now so that I don't create any resentments. I can't imagine anyone would actually be opposed to my tactic, but you never know. Let's have a discussion if necessary!

Last edited:
Back