I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a great idea. I honestly hate how the Shorts on YouTube are required to be only 60 seconds or less in length. One more minute would make a world of difference in my opinion. I think most people will understand because I did say 'accessory or hitch cord," but there are people out there who might think paracord is acceptable or, as you mentioned, that cheap Home Depot cordage. I can't save everyone! Evolution and Darwinism has to run its course and thin the herd. I know that may sound cynical, but it's just a reality of life. That doesn't mean I won't do my best to mitigate harm. I'm extremely focused on harm reduction and safety is something I take extremely seriously in my videos. I even where a helmet when I'm demonstrating techniques on the ground. =-D

What do you think of this smorgasbord of hitch cords? I can tie loops and knotted eye to eyes with the Beeline and the Veritas since I got 10 feet each. With the Epicord, I'll have to pick one or the other unless I make a really long eye to eye that I can untie and make into a loop as needed! My collection is almost complete ***rolls his finger tips of one hand across the other hand's finger tips of another below his chin like a super villain while sporting a menacing grin and stare***. I just need a spliced 10mm EpiCord (you know who you are!) and I will have that in my greasy palms in the not so distant future! Mwa ha ha haaaaaa! heh heh Is it just me or does anyone else think that Yale makes the best patterns for ropes?

2023-04-12 (2).png

Last edited:
The Tendon Timber cord has the same type of braiding for the core as EpiCord, with a flexible cover like the larger diameter Epi. The 8mm Epi has a stiff, tightly braided cover. Another nice cord, although not a big fan of the company, is the Notch Wrapstar, flexible dyneema core, and a slightly fuzzy cover.

Might be a good idea to make a companion video that goes into more depth on selecting a proper cord. You know someone's gonna try using paracord, or that weird braided hardwarestore rope that's stuffed with fluff.
I gotta derail this! That weird braided rope is my favorite for low strength utility uses. It is cheap! It is strong enough for non-critical purposes. And it has a great grip as a hitch cord. Obviously no life support, no overhead rigging.

I'm not a fan. I like more slippery rope, and probably some kind of solid braid for beating up on dumb stuff. When I order the ⅜" promaster, I'm gonna get enough to use it as a utility rope. I'm thinking it'll be a pretty good line for miscellaneous stuff.

I'm not a fan. I like more slippery rope, and probably some kind of solid braid for beating up on dumb stuff. When I order the ⅜" promaster, I'm gonna get enough to use it as a utility rope. I'm thinking it'll be a pretty good line for miscellaneous stuff.
I didn’t know Pro-Master was sold in 3/8. That is pretty reasonably priced. Pro-Master is about twice as expensive as 3/8 “blue hawk” braid with non-woven filler but it’s easily 3 times stronger. The blue hawk has a WLL of 110. And the ProMaster has a ABS of of 3,200. I know it’s even pricier than ProMaster but my favorite light duty rope is 3/8 stable braid.

What's the best way to secure the ends of hitch cordage made with heat resistant aramid fibers? Obviously, if there's a nylon or polyester core, you could melt the core...or maybe if the sheath is a blend of poly and an aramid, you could probably still melt it, right? I'm thinking I'm going to probably tape the ends tightly with half width electrical tape and then sew whippings after melting whatever I can. Is there another, better way to do this? My order of new hitch cords will be here next week and I want to prepare. I may have answered my own question, but you never know. There might be other, better methods.

@Brocky Holy heated hitch cords, Batman! That looks amazing!

@lxskllr I'll take that idea into consideration! Good thinking! Be sure to use superglue in a well ventilated area, everyone! When supersaturating organic solids, go slowly to avoid an exothermic reaction and fumes! A humid environment is also ideal to help polymerize any reacted cyanoacrylate that contacts your eyes, skin, nose, mouth or lungs.

Introducing the HIEROGLYPH hitch! Its composed of three wraps and then two alternating marls/half hitches around the opposite legs like with a KNUT hitch! It works surprisingly well. Tell me what you think. The name stems from how it resembles an Egyptian hieroglyph!

Front and back photos attached!

Attachments

• PXL_20230414_062953590~2.jpg
    PXL_20230414_062953590~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230414_062930597~2.jpg
    PXL_20230414_062930597~2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
Out of total curiosity, does anyone ever use the EDWARD'S BOWLINE loop knot? It's more secure than a Yosemite Bowline and only has one additional, easy step. The resulting knot is beautiful as well.

Here's a Short I made for it on YouTube...Just posted an hour ago.

I havent used that one, but ive used a double bowline with yosemite on my chipper winch line
hey @Brocky have you tried Courant "phoenix" hitch cord? looks similar to armorprus
maybe they are similar competing cords, wapstar and epicord look the same way to me (similar design and I believe material)
crazy how little I use my cords but how many sticky situations they have saved me from

Hey everyone! I've spent several weeks playing around with my own unique interpretation of the Catalyst hitch and I ended up creating a winning hitch. It's so good and unique that I have dubbed it the UNNAMED hitch! Here's the video! Let me know what you all think!

EDIT: I no longer wish to name this hitch after myself.

Attachments

• PXL_20230415_174227628~2.jpg
    PXL_20230415_174227628~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230415_174321511~2.jpg
    PXL_20230415_174321511~2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
@lxskllr It goes without saying (but I'm saying it for the viewer who may not realize it) that you can add more or less wraps during the first step in order to increase or reduce friction! Definitely report back how it turns out! That would be amazing if I created/originated something that works well with the Hitch Hiker. I'd be like @Brocky with his epic Knut H.

The "hard" part is tying it using one free end. That isn't essential, but I like starting with one end locked in the dogbone, and manipulating the free end to make the hitch. That doesn't look too bad to tie it that way, but I'll have to play with it to see how it goes in practice.

@lxskllr I'd then recommend beginning with the leg that ties the half hitch or marl. If you prefer tying it in a different chirality, you can always take my picture that I've supplied and use a free mirror image generator to mirror it along the vertical axis. That should show you how to tie it in the opposite chirality. The hitch should function identically in either chirality of course.

Last edited:
I went back through the thread a bit and tried out most of the hitches. After a little testing I would rate them thus,
there are 7 that are okay, grip and slide, but little else: Gravity, Blizzard, Velocity, Divergent, Endurance 1&2, and the one in post #75.
4 would grip, slide, and self tend, but would bind up with use: Heirogylph, Remedy, Contrarion, Glacial.
Another 4 self tended and didn’t bind up: Aurora, Calligraphy, Geometry, Exquisite.
The latest, the Knotorious has already been unearthed, it is the 180 degree version of a hitch adapted from the Adjustable Bend.
I came up with a fun hitch right after the testing, calling it the 2 Bites.
BCF02197-037A-494E-BAFF-55B57D274029.jpeg

Back