I need a truck.

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
Time to buy a, newer truck for some estimating and to occasionaly haul my LS180 steer skid or chipper.
I was hoping to avoid a dually.
I hear an F250 would do well , but i see their are 350's that are not duallys
So guys gimmie your reccomendatons , im gonna try and stay under 10k:cry:

On the Fords, the ONLY difference between the F250 and F350 is a spacer between the springs and axles. The F350 sits an inch higher and has a higher number on the GVWR tag. Every other part is identical.

Yes, but loaded, what will make an F250 squat down 8 inches will only make a F350 squat 1.

I know, I used to pull a 12 inch chipped with both a 7.3L F250 and a 7.3L F350.

The F350 also has the option of much lower gears.

I'm afraid I have to disagree since the parts numbers for the springs, shocks and axles are identical.

Maybe it's a magical spacer? :P

Jerry... if you want a diesel... the F-250/F350's from 1995 to 2001 are good trucks. They still have the first generation 7.3L PSD turbo diesels in them.

Stay away from 1994 and earlier Ford diesels... They are the non PSD 7.3L and the 6.9 non-turbo rattletraps.

The 1995 to 2001's will be under the 10k mark for your budget.

I had a 1995 F-250 7.3L PSD... best damng truck I ever owned. Had to sell it when I got divorced. I miss that truck.

Gary

On the Fords, the ONLY difference between the F250 and F350 is a spacer between the springs and axles. The F350 sits an inch higher and has a higher number on the GVWR tag. Every other part is identical.

No shit? Really?

What about Chevy/GMC?

I'm afraid I have to disagree since the parts numbers for the springs, shocks and axles are identical.

Maybe it's a magical spacer? :P

Maybe it is because they have more differences than just the spacer? :roll: :P The 350 is available with the 4.10 and the F250 only has the 3.73. They sure tow different.

;)

:D:D

estimates?........go smaller. Can't you move your skid steer with another rig?:D

I also do estimates with the same pickup that I tow my dump trailer and tractor with. It's the single wheel chevy 3500, 4WD. 9200 lb. GVW. Kind of a gas hog for estimates but I figure that the payment, insurance and license for another vehicle would be more money than I am spending on the extra gas to do estimates in this pickup.

I also do estimates with the same pickup that I tow my dump trailer and tractor with. It's the single wheel chevy 3500, 4WD. 9200 lb. GVW. Kind of a gas hog for estimates but I figure that the payment, insurance and license for another vehicle would be more money than I am spending on the extra gas to do estimates in this pickup.

I'm with you on this note, the extra payment for a truck or car that sits most of the day while I'm working, or a heavy truck that can serve double duty. I'm a small time operation though.

I have contemplated taking the wifes honda to estimates and leaving my truck at home. havent done it yet but I have thought about it. :)

MILES PER GALLON will offset double duty. If you only move some eqip here or there, whats tha point? Bid in a cheap vehicle......

I will agree that an F250 squats like no other compared to an F350.

But chevy wise, my dads 2500HD doesn't nearly squat as much as an F250 would. The truck feels like a Cadillac and tows nicely too. Ford's ride like shit IMO, but you get the solid front axle.

Like Gary said, 7.3 Diesel is a killer engine, mines no hot rod but it'll pull like a bastid. 6.0 and 6.4 are full of problems from what I hear.

Fords for work, Chevys for comfort.

I have to totally disagree with alot of you guys. Nothing can beat a Chevy. My Dad's dually 3500HD will haul/pull anything with it's Duramax Diesel Engine and Allsion trans. Ford's are really a piece of $hit in my opinion. I've heard front brakes wear really fast, and multiple other problems. I've ridden in afew, and nothing can compare to the chevy. Go for the Duramax and Allsion trans. You would not be disappointed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks,Lots of good advice here
I got alittle Nissan for bidding .
Still need to update my old 95 f 150 at about 300k shes about had it.
Ill be searching for the 1995 F-250 7.3L PSD
What does PSD meen sorry im no good at anything above 1979...
Looks obvious but ?
Any how i found a flat bed today 2001 f 250 but its got a 5 . something in it .
Only 33k miles as it is a government ex truck.
Keep umm coming fellow i need all the advice i can get.
Im sure you can tell this haha.
Dark

I don't know about the new ones at all .However my old beater F-250 has a set of one ton springs on it because I put them there .Just like Teddy Roosevelt ,a rough riding son -of - a - beech . It doesn't ride worth a hoot until you have about a ton and a half on it . I've had 5,000 on it before .[10 ply tires ,100 psi ]

I would think that at least by early fall it would be a good time to buy a used pick me up truck .People are trading them in for puddle jumpers .

Brian are you sure? For years the rear axle was always stouter. It may in fact be the same axle but the spline count was greater on the 350.

I am having a hard time accepting that as fact.

Brian are you sure? For years the rear axle was always stouter. It may in fact be the same axle but the spline count was greater on the 350.

I am having a hard time accepting that as fact.

The information I've seen was referring to the late model trucks, the newest body style (2004 or 2005-current). After buying my latest truck in 2004 I spent a lot of time on some Ford truck forums online. There were many discussions on the F250-F350 trucks including many testimonials from Ford service techs of various rank.

Well I will see what I can find out tomorrow. Cause I am looking at buying a truck.

Chevy, Dodge and Ford all make good 3/4 and 1 tons but everybody still has an opinion about which is better :roll:. I've got a '97 f250 diesel and it has been great. The Dodge you could only get a single rear wheel in a 3/4 ton until I think 2001 or 2002 when they got the new body style. The 5.9 liter cummins is a great engine too. The Chevy diesels are hit and miss until they introduced the Duramax which is also a solid truck.

For under 10 grand I would look at the 95 and up Fords and Dodges. To help with payload capacity you can always add airbags to the rear axle. If you want serious towing capability you'll the lowest gear ratio possible but that also takes away from fuel mileage. My '97 F250 has 3.55 gears and I can get 22mpg at 55-60mph and I can comfortably tow 8,000lbs. Any more than that is hard to get going up some of the real steep hills around town. Of course you can always get a programmer and exhaust, etc. to get some more Horsepower and torque. I've driven all 3 of the brands of diesel truck with the different engines from 94 on up so if you got any more questions just ask.

Back