I need a truck.

I probably shouldnt say nuttin ... I have a 1980 Ford F350 and a 1985 Dodge 350 crew cab... I started buying older that I can turn a wrench on and save bucks for service.. I know I only get 10-12 MPG but I save 65-85 per hour labor... My later trucks (now gone) always cost me $500.00 just to start every time they went in the shop... The one tons tow and haul fine ... and they have boxes to catch chips. Granted they don't haul much, but I don't need a big chip truck for what they do... Truck cost up front, 1300.00 for both.. Put new engine in Ford... under 2000.00.
Dodge will get next engine next year.. Pretty ... Nope.. ford is sorta. But.... They see the sign, know what I do .. And I still get 90% of the consults... figure... But hey, I am just a hill billy in the ozarks of CA... :) And Gas cheaper than diesel anyway.... :)

Last edited:
Well now as far as old and still running ,I most likely have one of the oldest which is a '77 F-250 with an I 6-300 .

You can repair and keep running old Fords forever .It just depends on ones ablity and willingness to turn wrenchs .

Now that old clunker when it was running good would get 17 mpg and move any load a v8 could although not accelerate it as quickly . I hauled an 8,000 pound van on a 2700 lb trailer out of Portsmouth Ohio ,hilly like W Va and got 14 mpg ,believe it or not .Plus pulled those hills at between 45 and 50 mph

I have to admit though that after a while it gets old wrenching the damned things on a regular bassis . Were I too replace my old beater it would be a late 90's F-250 with a diesel .

Yup, the newest 6.0 PSD has been a nightmare and the newest twin turbos look to be the worst. A buddy of mine bought a new F350 6 months ago and it looks like a sonofagun to work on. The service book says you have to pull the radiator in order to change the fan belt. :O

Well now as far as old and still running ,I most likely have one of the oldest which is a '77 F-250 with an I 6-300 .
No Al, I got you beat by a pretty good margin. It's a Ford with the same motor though. I will get pics next time I get out to my place I just got.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well that settles it for me ill be looking for a 1995 to 2002 f 250 with a PSD.
I actually love Ford and yes they ride rough but mine has been uber reliable.
Its just doesent have enough power to tow anything anymore.
Thanks

Yup, the newest 6.0 PSD has been a nightmare and the newest twin turbos look to be the worst. A buddy of mine bought a new F350 6 months ago and it looks like a sonofagun to work on. The service book says you have to pull the radiator in order to change the fan belt. :O

Yep... if there is cylinder head service to be done on the new Fords... you have to pull the cab off the frame to get to them... fun stuff...

The 6.0L PSD I had was an '06. I didn't have any problems with it, but I had heard all the story's about it. Of course after I bought it. A lot of guys I know had nicknamed them "6 Leaker" since the main problem was oil leakage from the 2 piece block. Also there were some major issues with the seals between the turbo and the block. I got lucky I guess... but the truck is long gone.

Ford is still in litigation with International over who is to pay for all the warranty work that was done on all the recalled 6.0L and 6.4L PSD's... as far as I know International is no longer going to be supplying Ford with diesel engines. Ford is going to do it all "in house".

The Duramax (made by Isuzu) is a great engine as is the Allison auto trans. However, just like in the past... GM is always the last one to the party. While Ford and Dodge were proudly pumpin' out great diesel trucks in the 90's, GM finally stepped up in 2001 with the Duramax. The 6.2L and 6.5L GM diesels were a joke. Quite possibl;y the most worthless diesle engines ever put in a truck. So the Duramax was a welcome addition to the GM lineup. Too bad GM didn't get their act together sooner.

Cummins has been a winner for years. Look in almost every Cat, Skidder, long haul truck, logging truck, and now lots and lots of motorhomes... you will prolly find a Cummins. The venreable Cummins 300 has made it's mark, and set the bar for inline 6 diesels. The 5.9 turbo diesel in the light trucks for Dodge are based off of the big ol' 300's design.

So for "NEW" trucks... I would prolly get a Chevy/GMC or a Dodge. Ford still is having problems with the 6.4L. For "OLD" (1995-2001) you can't beat a Ford 7.3L PSD. However the Cummins in the Dodges of the same years are fantastic as well. It's just the Dodge trucks are so damn ugly... ;)

Stay away from any GM truck with a 6.2L or a 6.5L... they aren't even worthy of being called a boat anchor... scrap metal is more like it.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im gonna get one of these,1995-2001) you can't beat a Ford 7.3L PSD
and keep it forever.
Ive never been left stranded by a ford that i maintened.
And yeah the dodge's are awesome, i hear, but oh lordy they are ugly kinda look like a cat fish or somethng.

The only reoccurring issue on the 7.3 is the Cam Positioning Sensor. If it's an issue it can cause the truck to randomly stall and leave you stranded, most owners keep one in the glove box, 10mm wrench and 10 minutes can fix ya though. Ford just recalled this item but the recalls are now showing problems too (making the computer throw codes, etc.). Make sure you don't let the oil pan get rusty too, gotta pull the cab or yank the motor for a new one. High pressure oil pump o-rings leak here and there too, cheap fix...hmmmmmm what else....cut the exhaust and free-flow intake to let it breath...love my truck.

Good point on the CPS Brendon... the only flaw my 1995 7.3L PSD was the glow plug solenoid went out a couple of times. There is a lot of juice going through there. We tracked it down to faulty wiring, and replaced the harness too... good as new. :)

Gary

No Al, I got you beat by a pretty good margin. It's a Ford with the same motor though. I will get pics next time I get out to my place I just got.
Oh I don't recommend an I 6 for somebody that is in business and needs a reliable truck with plenty of guts .For a guy like me that can wrench them but doesn't really need to relay on them on a daily basis you can't beat em . I think the last 300 was made mid to late 90's if I'm not mistaken . It disappeared about the same time as the 429/460 .

Of course you all know my name is on the last 460 that was ever made .;)

really Al? Thats cool. I have driven, back in the day a 460 pickup (early 90's but the truck was likely an 80's), what a beast!

I drove a 460 today. What a beauty, my 87 ford 1ton is a real hit. One of my buddy's asked me at the cardlock this morning if it qualifies for collector plates yet.:lol:

Back