Husky 346

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I was interested in getting a small framed saw. The smallest I have is a 361, (3) 460's, and a 660.

Where I am logging firewood all the trees are small. It's very hilly, so I'd like a light weight saw. Where I used to work part time we got the 346 with a 16" bar and that was the most used saw next to the 200t.

Am I right to assume I should get a 346 instead of a stihl 261? I'm all stihl but I know that 346 is a ripper.

Also,

I want to run .375 050 chain. Is that a possibility on that saw? I do not want different size chains in the fleet. Just won't have it.

Sure you can still get a 346? The 550 is it's replacement.
The 346 is a tried and true ripper but .375 chain drags it down some.

The 261's overseas have had some problems, makes me leery to be a test subject here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh I have no idea about getting a 346. Is the 550 similar? I know nothing about Huskys, just that I liked the 346 when I was using one.

The 550 is the autotune/EFI replacement for the 346. It also gets high regards but is more money.
I have never had tuning issues so have stayed with the carbed saws so far. But both the 550 and 562 get good reviews.

I've used the 261 a fair bit and I own a 346 as well, and they're both good saws, I don't think you'd be displeased with either one. If you're going to be running .375 chain then you'll probably not want to go over a 16" bar. I run .375 with an 18" bar on mine, but it's been modded so it still goes like stink.

I used a 562 a couple weeks ago, it made my Ms 260 wet it's pants. That 562 really tuned it up and kept pulling.

My 562 will smash, destroy, and shit on a 261. Tried the 550 too. That'll leave a 261 sucking its thumb and asking for its blankey. These autotune Huskys are no joke. All the "Stihl till the day I die" guys are missing out on saws that are blowing Stihl's current line up out of the water. I always felt Stihl made world class tools. And they still do. But Husky took the reigns in the last few years and not only kept up with emissions regs, but produced killer saws with the regs they were forced to deal with. Stihl cant say that. Ya, they're current line up cuts and runs good, but Huskys is exceeding peoples expectations.

I just got a 550 a couple weeks ago Brendon, its a nice saw, really rips. I wanted another 346 but dealer didn't have anymore. I can honestly say I am extremely impressed with the 550.

I have 1 like new woods ported OE 346 xpG 45cc with 357 carb left, that I dont really ever use. Very little run time at GTG's mainly. Pulls 3/8 with authority and has out cut many of the woods ported 50cc NE 346. You wont be able to say this one has no torque like some 45cc 346's.

Just testing back to back with stock stihl RS 3/8 chain this saw was cutting same times or better then a closed port 365 special in 8x8. (cant remember for sure but have video if you want to time and compare). Saws is like new with woods porting and pop up piston etc. Wouldnt sale for no less then a new 346 price in my area.

Being xpG with 357 carb, the heating part on carb was removed, only to handle now.

I did pull the top this year and put the updated 537 25 13-02 Partition wall, 537 43 88-01 Clamp. Wasnt going to take the chance of those leaky plastic clamps that fail and ruin saws.

Same chain on both saws with 7T and 3/8

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a96ULyaz7xU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a96ULyaz7xU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtnk7BaaDaY?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtnk7BaaDaY?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

i have 2 - 346's with 20 inch bars, one has 3/8ts and the other has a smaller pitch chain, i sharpen with the 5/32nds file on the smaller one,
i also have the 357

346 is bad ass, the 357 is a touch heavier, both are worth consideration

562 is a dynamite saw but will be too heavy for what you're asking for. The 346 is a great saw and you know its lightweight convenience - that's the key for walking the hills.
Both of mine run .325 and I use a 16" bar for general, and 18" if working larger wood.

My 562 will smash, destroy, and shit on a 261.

Since it has almost 10 cc more, that is not really surprising, is it?

Not fair comparing a 60 cc saw to a 50 cc. I mean, my MS 880 will smash, destroy and shit on a 562 any day, but who wants to lug it around:lol:

My 562 will smash, destroy, and shit on a 261. Tried the 550 too. That'll leave a 261 sucking its thumb and asking for its blankey.

Since it has almost 10 cc more, that is not really surprising, is it?

Not fair comparing a 60 cc saw to a 50 cc. I mean, my MS 880 will smash, destroy and shit on a 562 any day, but who wants to lug it around:lol:
I think Chris made a misprint there, I believe he meant to say 361 as I see he goes onto comparing the 550 to the 261

Who knows what I was thinking. I cant remember what I had for dinner let alone my thoughts on saws. I think Willard is correct. Stig, Im sorry I bashed your faithful brand of saw. I figured I might ruffle someones feathers. I do think 361's are a fantastic tool though.

346 it's my favourite saw. If you still can find it, go for it.
I use it always with a 16" bar. Not the same beast with longer bars, IMO.

For smallish wood a 346 is a awesome saw. I have mine set up with a 20" bar with round ground square chizzy, a very smooth and quick accelerating saw.

I refuse for right now to buy the diagnostic tool to work on the new huskys. Heck even my husky dealer dont have the $250 dollar tool to hook the new autotunes up to. Which dosent make any since to me.

I'm staying old school for as long as I can. Soooooo I got another one. :lol:

I just could say no as another NE 346xp 2011 fell into my lap sort of.

Heck I could have had its cousin the 2011 353 e-tech for a heck of a deal too. But I was happy just walking away with this one for now. ;)

These are pics as bought, no clean up for pics.

new346cracked450v009.jpg

new346cracked450v010.jpg

new346cracked450v008.jpg

new346cracked450v007.jpg

new346cracked450v006.jpg

new346cracked450v002.jpg

When I went down to Louisiana I had the chance to run a 346, 372, and a 395, right beside a 261, and a 660. And those Husky's just blew Stihl out of the water. I've been a hardcore Stihl guy ever since I started, and same goes for Dad, and even he would say they were better had he run them. Their biggest downside tho is dealer support. Its for shit, around here at least. Our Stihl dealer is so great, we love him. The same goes for my friend in Louisiana, he's switched to Stihl because of shitty husky dealers. If Husky could do something about that, then I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy one.

Read above on my last 346xp. Well I just traded 4 used saws for this new 550xp so I could test it out. I will be putting a 16" 3/8 on it from the get go.

Also a echo 3 prong clutch tool works on the 550. ;)

550xpclutch001_zps77ce2596.jpg

550xpclutch003_zpsd56b9551.jpg

550xpclutch002_zpsc10a9ad9.jpg

550xpclutch004_zpsd1be01c9.jpg

Back