Hurricane Sandy trees!

Superb record of storm work!! How's the new stihl, what model is it?

Be safe. Were you concerned about backfeeding of generators when you were climbing up in the wires?

How long was the power out at your house? Was your house damaged? Did you have a generator? And the million dollar question: did you take cold or hot showers, assuming you took any at all??

Power outage or not,
if you have not been trained to do tree work around power lines, then you should not!
Glad you made it Ben!

Standby or Emergency Generators

We usually take electric power for granted, until we lose power due to an outage. Usually power is restored within a few hours, but during major ice storms, wind storms, or other disasters, it could take several days or longer for power company crews to restore power to everyone.

Inexpensive emergency back-up generators are available from home centers, mail order, and internet sources, so many of us keep a generator around for use when the power goes out.
Backup generators are handy, but they can also create a dangerous situation if not connected properly to your home’s electrical wiring.
Generators are sometimes permanently attached to the home wiring. If the connection to the home wiring is not done correctly, then the generator can feed into BARC’s power system and can electrocute linemen who are working to restore power.
Generators should never be connected to a home electrical outlet and should not be directly connected to the circuit breaker panel. Generators should only be connected to the home through what is called a “double pole, double throw switch”, sometimes called a two-way transfer switch. A qualified electrician can properly do this work. BARC’s responsibility for electric service ends at the meter, so we cannot know when or if you have installed a generator and we cannot know if the installation was done in accordance with the National Electric Code. Refer your electrician to the National Electric Code 700.6 and 702.6.
There is another reason for using a qualified electrician to do the work. If you plug your generator directly into a wall outlet, then the wiring in your house is no longer protected by a circuit breaker or fuse in your power panel. The wiring could become overloaded, overheat, and start a fire in your house.
Finally, the diesel or gasoline engine that drives an emergency generator has carbon monoxide in the exhaust. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. Always consult the owner’s manual or operator’s manual for your generator regarding proper placement of the generator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Dan, thanks. I have actually got my Utility Arboriculture so I do know about wires.. How did you fare in PA?

Great vids and mess with a capital M... I liked the show of some dollars too. I was feeling sorry for your ground guy, at one point he had that it's never ending feeling showing on his face. It looked like you could use one more.

Thanks for sharing! One thing that will be interesting is, in the next couple of years, seeing if any of the trees still standing fail. We had that happen after Wilma. Hurricanes stink.

Florida Keys Energy sent some linemen to Long Island. They are in the paper today with their first snowman! HA

Thanks for sharing! One thing that will be interesting is, in the next couple of years, seeing if any of the trees still standing fail. We had that happen after Wilma. Hurricanes stink.

We had similar happen, up to two or three years after Fabian...especially coconuts and loquats. I reckon with all the flexing the trees get, cracks and splits, and/or slightly torn root systems some quite evident, some not so, they become more vulnerable to pathogens that are always lurking...and a while later...oopsie!

Ben how much, if any, effort is being made to stand some trees back up and guy them in an effort to save them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bermy no such effort is being made where I am. Trees were totally uprooted! Done! A lot of big trees done. Then with all the snow so much more damage.

It is what it is! As they say round ere. Least we are all busy!

Bermy no such effort is being made where I am. Trees were totally uprooted! Done! A lot of big trees done. Then with all the snow so much more damage.

It is what it is! As they say round ere. Least we are all busy!

Fair enough...once they are that far over, its over. I didn't reckon about the snow!

It seems with that wood tangled up in wires, there can be some strange forces going on too. Best to take it slow.

That's for certain.

And I keep thinking about this vid/thread, definitely good stuff!

Back