Hollow tree topping - barber chair

Great you can walk away after the job done!
In my mind, deeper notch maybe would have helped, but just a crap shoot on where hinging from compared to unseen strength (if any) of hinge at that point.
>>and strengths that position depends on in chain... a real crap shoot, i mean more than normally!
My in tree chains for this would be 4" yellow web ratchet tie downs high/low on spar and 1 on top;
tighten, knock/vibrate webbing towards ratchet with semi-truck-tire spoon (also good for leverage bar in air), retighten, rinse/repeat several times
>>see if can get spoon into any concave area to come from under web w/spoon, or pick good spot on spar to flatten for approximate same.
>>then sweat webbing tighter , by bending, relaxing so slack creeps around thru frictions, take up slack w/ratchet.
Position ratchet on side, so is not on the hit face on drop, nor on that axis of force, but rather besides it i think is easiest on ratchet.
Leave in position for final drop if suspect hollow continues low into stump too.
But, even better was the evacuation plan;
as Mr.Miyagi said, the best way to block punch/win fight "is to no be there"
Barber Chair always viewed at ground level, splitting up;
here we have unusual circumstance of splitting down,
(and of just outer layers like a no face peeling off with just outer rings/not whole constitution of spar, just here split too)
but still, the falling forces on hinge over ruled/trumped (yuck) the constitution of the spar.
Great you can walk away after the job done!....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for tips on straps...wash, rinse, repeat had not occurred to me before. Positioning of ratchet mechanism consideration is good, too...thanks.

as Mr.Miyagi said, the best way to block punch/win fight "is to no be there"

hahaha...total believer in that one! :lol:

When using the ratchet straps, is it best to put them perpendicular to the back cut, or above & below the back cut parallel to the hinge?

1' below the lower most part of the back cut & 1' above the upper most part of the face cut?

When using the ratchet straps, is it best to put them perpendicular to the back cut, or above & below the back cut parallel to the hinge?

1' below the lower most part of the back cut & 1' above the upper most part of the face cut?

Straps run around pairallel to backcut,
ratchet heads perpendicular to hinge,
position for structure/solidifying is crap shoot on what is needed by tree..
BUT, with webbing (vs.chain) muffler heat is a consideration.
So depends on when put straps in place, how hot/how close saw is;
stump side wouldn't have heat rising to like top side.
AND, still would be safest to 'git-da-hell-outta-dodge' on top of that!
panteraba said:
...wash, rinse, repeat...
>>mini sweat/swigs to tension/release/equalize/take up purchase.
>>thus each bend in successfully tightened area leverages even more now on bend
making even more worth while to stay rite on it: wash,rinse,repeat..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kennie...You are the one that taught me the concept of "sweating a purchase", pulling sideways on an already tightened rigging system to get more "tightness".

I think I am using the right terms...anyway, the sideways pull to tighten is wonderful...thanks for the teaching somewhere back along the lines of sharing tree stuff.

Well, I'm NOT glad you're "O.K." :Xdangit, Gary... ya deserve to get smaked around a TON harder for a stupid mistake like that. :lol:

Just jokin, my good fellow... Thanks a ton for posting that up. Really informative all the way around. I thank God that in WA I really don't have to deal with very many hollow green trees. Good job swinging away before the pull. :thumbup:

Back