Hunting 2021

Returned from moose camp yesterday. Good trip as long as you don't define it as catching one. Terrible weather overall and lots of snow fell above 2000 feet, rain down where we were. Here's a picture when we arrived at the cabin... nice view when it's clear. IMG_20210928_172114.jpg

Okay, changing it up a bit. Today the tides worked out for a day trip to the Stikine flats for some duck/goose hunting. Got into our blind location with just enough water on a falling tide a stashed the jet boat further up the slough. Nala dog did her thing and retrieved what we shot. We got some lunker geese today. 4 Canada and 3 mallards. Not a lot of ducks here quite yet but soon hopefully. A few pictures of the day. IMG_20211011_084638.jpg IMG_20211011_084648.jpg IMG_20211011_094952.jpg IMG_20211011_123941.jpg IMG_20211011_110020.jpg

Yeah, there are a lot of shotgun options out on the market for sure. I like the auto loaders for reliability around here because of all the silt and sand we have to deal with. Not that pumps aren't reliable, but they tend to get gummed up on the slide rails if you are not careful.

I've never owned anything but double barrel side by sides. Got that preference from my father, who never owed anything else, too :)...and both my grandfathers were the same. So really, I never had much choice in the matter :D.

I've read pumps aren't as reliable as semi autos, counter intuitive imo. Haven't really been into this stuff in years though. I'd use an 870 cause I have an 870 :^D

I read an article about hunting Antelope in the States.I would quite like to shoot one.

Do you know much about hunting Antelope Jim ? @FireFighterZero

I read that there are good numbers of them in Montana but Wyoming has the most amount of public land to hunt them on?

You should stay and eat the meat.

We used to kill one on my place here and build a fire right next to it.

Take the hangers out and the tenders and cook em while the animal was still twitching.

You can't eat better than that.

Used to kill one every year.

Everything you know about deer hunting is not applicable in antelope hunting.

They always have the high ground. Can see you from miles off, and can run for hours.

If you shoot one that is running or hot or stressed....you can't stand the taste of it.

I never shot one moving faster than a brisk walk.

You should stay and eat the meat.

We used to kill one on my place here and build a fire right next to it.

Take the hangers out and the tenders and cook em while the animal was still twitching.

You can't eat better than that.

Used to kill one every year.

Everything you know about deer hunting is not applicable in antelope hunting.

They always have the high ground. Can see you from miles off, and can run for hours.

If you shoot one that is running or hot or stressed....you can't stand the taste of it.

I never shot one moving faster than a brisk walk.

All good to know Jim.

Seriously I will make this happen next year, what time of the year is the best time to hunt them?

Back