Spotted this fella on our road this evening

Attachments

• tmp_16728-IMG_20151003_171317918-1676236132.jpg
    tmp_16728-IMG_20151003_171317918-1676236132.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 33
  • tmp_16728-IMG_20151003_171309607629730553.jpg
    tmp_16728-IMG_20151003_171309607629730553.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 34
We are having a crowding of cats and bear right now. The government is hunting and trapping them pretty active right now. They are thirsty and starving.

We can hunt bear. Just have to pull the tag. You would not want to eat that fellow. Probably been on garbage a lot at this elevation. Maybe some pets. You want the high elevation game. More a natural clean diet. Better meat.

That is one problem you don't have with carrots, Jim!

So true!

But carrots, on their own... kinda suck!

I could eat this (with nothing else!) no problemo!

o.jpg

It as a come back to Jim's carrot comment to me in another thread.
He seems to think that is all I eat, and to tell the truth, it is my least favourite vegetable.

Good in soup, apart from that I have little use for them.

Jim, I've had bear a few times at wild game cook-outs...didn't care for it at all. I'd guess if you like beef or venison you won't care for bear meat.

We can hunt bear. Just have to pull the tag. You would not want to eat that fellow. Probably been on garbage a lot at this elevation. Maybe some pets. You want the high elevation game. More a natural clean diet. Better meat.

Do pets make them taste bad?

Depends on what you feed your pets :lol:
I don't hunt any more. Just not up to killin and eating the kill as I get older. Still teach the boys though. More livestock shooting these days. But I keep the right kit around for bigger game since they are in my back yard. We keep an eye out with our kids and live stock in mind. Mostly the kids though, You have to lose some live stock to nature. Kind of giving it back. Cats too.. Set them outside and see who lives over a year.
I guess after a cooking career and lots of hunting early on, then having to shoot and eat pets (both mine and other families), I have just lost the taste for it. I am sort of handing over the torch to Seth now on the livestock. He is now handling putting the pets down for the most part. His turn.
Levi will be next. Lilly is kind of sensitive to it and it hurts her to watch. But she is gun sauvy and will watch some of the processing.
I will only shoot game to feed or protect my family if necessary. Unless the boys want to hunt. Then I will teach them. Seth, right now, does not have the patience for it.
Vermin on the other hand I hunt with a vengeance. I love squirrels for target practice and bait the property with deceased ones to thin the coyotes.

You dont eat the squirrels? I hear they are tasty.
Squirrels are good Jim, especially the younger ones. My wife won't cook 'em since we've had them for pets so my squirrel hunting days are over. Don't care for bear, what I've eaten was strong, stringy and tough. They have really been on the prowl here too, no garbage can goes unchecked this time of year. I've got a steel 55 gallon drum of peanut butter they can't get into but they can't help trying. You're right Butch, doves are good too but my favorite wild game is quail. Not many wild ones here anymore, too many varmints.

Squirrel is good. I don't hunt. I'd rather just watch the critters. I have nothing against hunting, just not my thing. I did hunt a bit when I was younger. Did one deer season and I think that ended me. Just to crazy during gun. I think I would enjoy bow hunting but don't have time to start a new hobby.

Now hold the boat a minute here. You buy peanut butter by the 55gallon drum? What are you doing with it?
I get grape jelly the same way. Eat a lot of PBJ sandwiches Justin;)
Naw, I get a deal on it ($55 a drum) and bait wild hogs with it. I take kids that don't get a chance to hunt and hopefully this year some wounded warriors and let 'em blast 'em!

Ahh, I figured there had to be a reason. i mean I love peanut butter but a drum would be like a lifetime supply.

Back