Hunting 2013

What's to stop them from coming back for free chow?
Haha...what Chris said.....

My best (night) shot to date was a gray fox. Saw it out in the field by my dad's chickenhouse, grabbed my .223, adjusted the elevation up 16 clicks and had my daughter hold the spotlight while I rested over a stool on the front porch. Drilled him at 242 yards.

I shot a coyote off the front porch two years ago. It crossed the front yard about 40 FEET from my front door.

Sure, and kill every raptor and small predator within range indiscriminately.
Sounds like a fine idea.

That is pretty much how we managed to wipe out both grey and golden eagles around here.
That, and hunters shooting them for " bothering the game".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coyotes won't eat poisoned meat. They are cautious like that. They often aren't interested in dead livestock that has medication in its system.

Lots of people enjoy oysters.
They get eaten alive, too.

Oysters likely have no sense of self awareness, they don't know that they exist. They have something like a few nerve ganglia for motor movement, but no nerve center, so probably they don't have the complexity to experience suffering. One can slurp them down in good conscience. A gnat is considerably more sophisticated.

So we can drip a bit of lemon juice on him and swallow him alive, washed down with champagne.

What an end to christianity.

I ate my first oyster recently. I cant decide if it was great or I hated it. I tried a few varieties at an oyster bar. One type was mild, smooth, and very clean tasting. I liked it. From colder northern waters somewhere. Another variety was so-so and slightly larger then the first. I could take or leave whichever one that was. The last one pretty much made me feel like someone shot a load in my mouth. Never been down that road but Im only drawing an imaginary comparison. It was not something I will eat again. It was from north Carolina or somewhere close.

Not to disagree with you, Chris, but some guys I know have poisoned coyotes successfully in the past. I forget the name of the poison they used. my issue with poison is not only the fact that un-targeted animals may ingest it, but is mainly, at what point does it stop? If a coyote ingests poison and dies, what of the buzzards that eat HIM? Where does it end?

I've heard of folks hanging large treble hooks about 3' off the ground, baited with meat, for the sole purpose of "catching" coyote/fox/etc. I personally find the idea distasteful.

Since the "attack" the other night, I'm getting ready to break out the FoxPro and try calling some in. We have a fair number of predators in our area.

Several years ago, I sat on my front steps one night and called the same gray fox in twice. I had my NiteLite cap on with red lens, which I'd sweep back and forth across the front yard while blowing a rabbit-in-distress call. My daughter was sitting beside me holding the spotlight to make sure of target before I shot. (We had about 4 cats at the time, and they and fox look similar at 100 yards in red light). After blowing a few minutes, a fox crossed the road and stood by my mailbox. I got the .22 mag ready, gave her the go-ahead, and the split second the light hit him, he was gone. I missed.... Went right back to blowing, and within 3 minutes, he was back. Same thing...light hit him...he whirled...I missed. I stepped in and grabbed a shotgun for the next time. He didn't come back...

I did shoot 6 or 7 grays from the front porch the first two years I had chickens.

EDIT: I remembered....it was TEMIK. Not sure how they applied it, but several guys were using it a few years ago. (Granted, I suppose there is nearly no way of knowing how successful it was...or was not.)

I ate my first oyster recently. I cant decide if it was great or I hated it. I tried a few varieties at an oyster bar.
Hey Tuck, I happen to live on Apalachicola Bay, oyster capital of the world. We eat 'em every way you can imagine. I like them raw, roasted 'til they open on oak coals, fried, sautéed in butter and garlic, in a stew, you name it. I have good friends that are oystermen and they take good care of us. One young man works with me occasionally when things are slow on the oyster bar, he's a heck of hard worker. Once in a while we'll go out and get our own, but it's not something I want to do everyday. An oysterman's life is a tough one.

When I lived on Hornby Island up in BC for a few months, at low tide you could go to the beach and get bucket fulls of oysters without even getting your trousers wet. An amazing thing, it was like if you pick up an oyster, when you look down again now there are two there. There are a lot of ways to eats oysters, conventional and non conventional. :/: Oysters and bald eagles, is what i most remember about the place, and this crazy chick named Gretchen.

I know two crazy Gretchen's too. I too live in another Oyster capital. You can have those appalachicola oysters, just something about the flavor of a warm water oyster turns my stomach. I too have a few oyster man friends and it is true, that there isn't much glory in it, just hard work. My helper Keely is now working for an oyster man. I love em!

I went clamming in NC this summer way out in the sound. That was fun. 20% of them were steamers and the rest were big tough buggers that you make into chowder. So I traded my uncle. No one else wanted any in the group. He took the steamers, and I took 100 pounds of the big boys home and periodically my way wife makes a big pot of clam chowder.

I used to dig for clams on the California North Coast, those ones that are like three feet deep and have their siphons going all the way up to the surface. You follow the siphon down with a spade, trying not to cut it off. Takes a knack to do a good job of it digging them up. Big clams and good eating. I met two ladies that had moved over to the states from Vietnam, guess they fled when the war ended or something. Kind of crazy in a fun way, the one that wasn't married was looking for a husband. They had ultra skills in knowing how to find food in the intertidal zone at the beach. i swear that you could live off of what they knew how to find, very impressive.

I know two crazy Gretchen's too. I too live in another Oyster capital. You can have those appalachicola oysters, just something about the flavor of a warm water oyster turns my stomach. I too have a few oyster man friends and it is true, that there isn't much glory in it, just hard work. My helper Keely is now working for an oyster man. I love em!
How do they harvest the oysters up your way Bud?

Yeah, hogging or raking. It is no easy business to be in. There are a lot of Grants here on Cape. Most of these guys lay seed every few years and REAP the benefits 3-5 yrs later. I can get as many tops as I want for 25 cents each. Going rate is $1-.150. This is the last month for me though as I still follow the months with an R rule.

Back