How to :Handy Dandy Knot

That looks interesting. Any limitations you put on using it? What kind of weights have you run that up to?

Thanks for making the video, I have never seen that before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I pulled it too tight using it pulling with a truck once, all limbs and medium sized wood
its great with a bight, then tie that one instead of a bowline when rigging limbs and wood
because it ties fast, holds well and and unties quick
I suggest leaving about a 4 to 6 inch tail

works great for tying up horses as well

I have used a similar knot for years. The knot I used makes a loop around the other line and then the bight comes through. Pretty much same thing. Never had any problems with it. You would think it would be more used. My Dad taught it to me.

Cool. Can it tow a locomotive and still be untied?

Making that loop is what throws most people off learning the bowline.

I call that knot the horse knot as it was the knot taught to me as a way to tie up a horse. With horses you want to be able to untie them under load in case the freak out and endanger themselves. I use it to tie on my throwbag. Retrievable srt redirect with my tail. Carrying rigging line around tree. Retrievable zipline Rigging knot for lighter stuff. If you really load it it will jam and become impossible to untie. I love it. Definitly a handy dandy knot
http://youtu.be/TDjjFksC1Zg

i used it today on a euc removal, once in a while a bowline on the huge shit, but a lot of my handy dandys, on some blocks of wood at an awkward angle i used the bight and finished with the hd knot, set and dressed, while holding onto the ropes in 1 hand

yeah if you pull out a stump with it, it wont undo

i showed some horse lady it, and she showed all the folks at her stable, because she had to cut her lead rope when it was under tension

I just have a quick question for everyone. What knots are classified in the bowline family? example, running bowline, boab, etc?

And there ya go. If a knot can't be untied, then it's no good to me. Great for tying up horses, for sure! :thumbup:

super fast to tie, and untie, its just that I only pulled one stump with it, and it took a lot of 4x4 power to get it, and it stuck, I usually don't do stuff like that

I even tie my kids balloons on their arms with it

That was funny how he used 2 hands to demo one hand tying.

I'm gonna try that knot.

Kevin, that was a cool application.

Thanks, Dave.
I'll be showing that one to the boys tomorrow.

That was funny how he used 2 hands to demo one hand tying.

I'm gonna try that knot.

Kevin, that was a cool application.

I mean if you are out a limb you choke the ropes with 1 hand and hold yourself in position, while tying with the other hand

I know a few guys who tie something similar to that. They call it either a dragon knot or a slippery bowline.

an asshole showed me this knot, only good thing I got from him, no name, my crew dubbed it handy dandy, never failed me, saved my ass countless times

Back