how do you break in a new chainsaw?

Shane

TreeHouser
just wondering whats the best way to break in a new chainsaw go by the manual or if there is a better way?

If you bought oit at a dealer use the fuel and oil he rek. in the way he think it is correct.

I tell my custemers that run new to run them as they rented it!

I set them with Alkylate fuel (Aspen) in and tell custemer to keep running it. I run saw in wood before delivery a tank or so.
They come back after 10 tanks I feel it over and hear it out, make a couple cuts, then see them next year if nothing happen.

I set them a little rich for the first day or so.
Once I've run a couple of gallons of alkylate through them, I lean them out.

New,what's that ? On a rebuild I set it rich for a few tank fulls then lean it up and flog it like a rented mule .

I idle them for 5 minutes then get busy!
Temp treatment?
If it is Husqvarna it will not reach operational temp on 5 min idle.
All parts needed in a a saw is temp treated before assembly. Including 1 min run time after assembly to do function and emission checks.

Just go cut wood... no need for a "break in" period. I've never "broke in" a new saw.

Gary

I've "broken them in", just to rebuild them! Run the thing like you stole it, as Butch said. If it blows up it wasn't set up right to begin with!

Run it how you are going to use it....

Buttttttt.. make sure you dial it in good before... well..... :lol:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gfZS9cK8fCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My new saws get nothing special , in the old days the dealer "ran them in" the midget I've mentioned would adjust the high lows, run the tip near a cut piece to confirm bar oil at nose... good to go... go cut wood andd try to make money

Like Gary, I run it like any other saw in my arsenal. In fact I just pulled a 460 out of the box last week.

Not trying to argue, but thought it was interesting enough to ask why you do it. I know now you don't know why.
Don't worry, you are not unique. Lots of people do things all the time with out knowing why.

It was called temp treatment and normally you run engine to optimal operational temp and keep it there for a bit, then cool it of.
This was the way to do it on old engines that was not assembled with heat treated parts. Usually done at factory before it went thru final inspection and got out to be sold. Piston, rings, sleve, bearings, etc. today has this done before assembly.

Racing engins and other top performing , high out put or heavily modified engines are still temp treated.
When I worked on racing cars we did it to them after each teardown/race.

Not trying to argue, but thought it was interesting enough to ask why you do it. I know now you don't know why.
Don't worry, you are not unique. Lots of people do things all the time with out knowing why.

It was called temp treatment and normally you run engine to optimal operational temp and keep it there for a bit, then cool it of.
This was the way to do it on old engines that was not assembled with heat treated parts. Usually done at factory before it went thru final inspection and got out to be sold. Piston, rings, sleve, bearings, etc. today has this done before assembly.

Racing engins and other top performing , high out put or heavily modified engines are still temp treated.
When I worked on racing cars we did it to them after each teardown/race.

Now I know. You're the man.

Back