How do you align a diagonal?

Here's a faller cutting up a heavy leaner, he can't see the far corner and can only reach it with the saw in an unconventional manner but the cuts lined up for a good clean undercut. Is this the only or easiest way to cut this up? Probably not, but there's definitely no easy method, so whatever works for the guy on the saw is the way to go.

1eo5l.png

Did he back-bar it at all? That technique hasn't been discussed yet. Common practice here in the PNW. Prolly make some cringe at the thought of using the top of the bar to make your face cut. Sometimes it's the only option depending on terrain. Another reason for the longer bars and big dogs to bite hard.

Gary

I do to with my 200t, rarely will I use the top of the bar on a big saw putting in the face cut though

Same here. But I do occasionally do so. One of the contract fallers I work with regularly is real inclined to place the angled cut on trees under 30 inches or so (he pretty much exclusively uses a humbolt face) by backchaining. When I asked him why, he said he likes to send the chips out away from his face if he can...same reason I'm inclined to use a conventional face :). Anyway, he's got it down pretty well, almost never misses his far corner.

One advantage to 3/4 wrap handles is the relative ease with which one can make face cuts from the "left" side of the tree...when working positions are awkward, it sure can help.

One advantage to 3/4 wrap handles is the relative ease with which one can make face cuts from the "left" side of the tree...when working positions are awkward, it sure can help.

Amen Burnham, I don't even know how to operate a saw without one.

I might be doing it wrong, but when topping, using the top of the bar for the face cuts and back cut is very frequent, especially when reaching over to the far side.

On the ground, like for a Humboldt face, using the top of the bar for cutting upwards with a sharp chain goes ok, but once it gets a little dull, it sure adds to the work part on larger trees...hard on the back too.

Here is a video of how NOT to do it.
I thought Murphy could spend a lot of time messing around with a face cut, but this guy has him beat by several leagues.

Why the tree didn't barber chair on him is beyond me!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MPUD6-BJHbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I worked in the woods with a guy from Africa once. Strong mofo, but when it came to cutting, he became a wild thing. He quit after a tree he felled hit someone in the head and knocked them out.

That 090 kicked my butt the last few years I run it. Mostly for cutting old growth stumps. I'll tell you, once that tip is buried the leverage you have to bear on that saw to make it cut will shrink your willy.

Back