Hooklift or grapple truck-which one?

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 9K
K

Koa Man

For the same money and condition, would you buy a grapple truck or a hooklift?
I was thinking if I get a hooklift and put the bin on the ground, I could use my Gehl mini loader to load the brush and logs. It would also be way easier when loading by hand, but I would need to trailer the loader, unhook the trailer and then drop the box on the ground. The hooklift could bring a 2nd box if needed or haul around equipment on a flatbed.

The grab truck would not need the Gehl loader, unless I needed it to pull stuff out of the yard. The grab truck could also reach over a fence to pick stuff up.
The grab truck would also have more volume capacity as I want to stick to a single axle and not a tandem rear. Biggest boxes I see for single axle hooklifts are 15-20 yards. I can get a single axle grab truck with 30 yard capacity.

I find advantages and disadvantages to both. I am hoping those with experience with these will give me some feedback. I have never actually seen a grapple truck in action. There was one on this island about 10 years ago, but it broke down and the owner has since passed away.

Really, I'd choose option "C"; a really nice grapple trailer you can pull behind your truck. I work with one regularly, and having owned straight-up grapple trucks in the past... these things are great.

http://www.remorques-jms.qc.ca/en/chargeuses.html

They have both log versions and dumping box versions at this company.

Main advantage; big savings on fuel, operating, maintenance, registration, and insurance costs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to avoid getting a trailer whether it be hooklift or grapple. The reason is I currently only have a pickup and dump trailer and the overall length is 38 ft. Some of my job locations only have 25-30 ft. of parking. I also have a difficult time turning around on some of the tight dead end streets with my current setup.

I have a job coming up that has only 25 ft. of parking. After that the vehicle will start sticking out on a busy 2 lane road. I am going to rent a 16 ft. flatbed dump for that one.

Good points. If it matters, the trailers I mentioned don't need to stay hooked to use the loader; you could park the trailer (about 18 feet long) and then park the truck elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

If it's either one of your original options, I'd go with the grapple, hands-down, if I couldn't get a grapple mounted on a roll-off chassis.

Grapple trucks have become the preferred method of debris collection around here. You will still need your mini as a 'forwarder' to get the stuff to where the grapple can reach it.

A little grab truck 20 to 25 CY.

A peterson lightning loader would be the mid size pick for me.

79301631.jpg

I would say grapple truck Wesley. We use the the small bobcat to turn the trailer around when there is not room to use the truck trailer combo. Like Brian said you will need the mini to forward everything to the road side, or fence or driveway. Come in to the job with the lift and mini, forward everything, then come in with the grab and load.
I know there is not much room in the area's you work. Might have to park one or the other away from the job, or do 2 or 3 jobs and then come back with the grab and load the days work. It will take longer to clean up and rake, the grab will not take long at all to load.
You could pull the lift and mini on your trailer behind the grab, you would just have to get creative on the parking....

Brendon, they'll be like the Lil Ox we priced. IMO, the best bet for me is to build my own setup (although maybe not the boom with the prices that are going around).

You can pull it with a 1 ton, a gooseneck would be the best way, IMO, but a bumper pull would work.

Willie, yep, you can.

Erik,

Any idea how much those trailers run $$?

Can you tow it with a 1 ton?

I forget how much Newfie paid for his, but it was pretty reasonable considering the service like you'll get out of it. And yeah, it pulls with a 1-ton no problemo.

$20-35k, most that I've looked at are $25-35k.

Or, I can take my dump trailer move the axles forward (just time), add a knuckle boom ($3-15k), a power unit ($.5-2k) and be money ahead.

While a gooseneck would be better, I'd go with a bumper pull so I could keep the mini on the deck.

can you load the lift and mini in the box then load the box?

After loading you would have no room to load the mini back in it. I don't want to have to make 2 trips to the job site with the 2nd one just to pick up equipment. My Gehl will actually fit in the back of my Dodge and I could transport it that way. No need for any trailers then.

When I previously checked on prices for grapple trailers with a dump box and not just log racks with no dump, they ran around $27K and up. Gooseneck would definitely be the way to go with those. My Dodge already has a gooseneck hitch, but I would have to take off my lumber rack to use it. Any way, I am not considering a trailer at all.

I know what you mean about not wanting to make 2 trips. I live in a very rural area so when we show up at a job we have everything to do that job. This requires 2 trucks for us. The box truck with the Spider and gear, a trailer behind the box truck with the bobcat, stump grinder, and attachments. Then the grab truck, this works best for us. However, we do not have any parking issue's (most of the time) like you have Wesley.

I can haul the bobcat and the stump grinder in the box truck with the Spider but it is so packed in, it just makes it 2 much of a pain in the *# to be worth it. We just drag the trailer along and use the bobcat to move the trailer around if need be.

If I got the Gehl on site, then no problem turning the trailer around in extremely tight places. Last week with my pickup and dump trailer, I had to go back and forth 4 times and still climb the sidewalk to turn around on a dead end street. The turn around area was definitely designed for a vehicle with no trailer and no longer than 32 ft.

Seems like there is a huge amount of grapple trucks in Florida and a lot of dealers selling them. Anyone know if guys like All Florida, Arts, Andys are honest? It seems like I would have to go there to get a good selection to choose from.

Any particular brand of grapple I should get? Are any just plain junk?

I wish I was able to see one in action.

I forget how much Newfie paid for his, but it was pretty reasonable considering the service like you'll get out of it. And yeah, it pulls with a 1-ton no problemo.

I paid 18K and it doesn't need any gooseneck. Mine has a 5 ton capacity. The grapple can't lift what a big truck mounted machine will lift but it can lift some big stuff. My grapple trailer has paid for itself 10 times over.

Wesley, why not take a trip out to Kansas to observe, heck he might even let you run it. :P

Mike, a gooseneck isn't required, but it certainly would make it more enjoyable I'd think.

More enjoyable in what sense, Carl?

I have never had any issues towing it. Pulls real smooth.

Btw, it can be used unhooked from the truck, but you have to watch what and how you lift, otherwise you can put it on its side, even with the outriggers.
Not that I have any first hand experience doing that.;)

If I got the Gehl on site, then no problem turning the trailer around in extremely tight places. Last week with my pickup and dump trailer, I had to go back and forth 4 times and still climb the sidewalk to turn around on a dead end street. The turn around area was definitely designed for a vehicle with no trailer and no longer than 32 ft.

Seems like there is a huge amount of grapple trucks in Florida and a lot of dealers selling them. Anyone know if guys like All Florida, Arts, Andys are honest? It seems like I would have to go there to get a good selection to choose from.

Any particular brand of grapple I should get? Are any just plain junk?

I wish I was able to see one in action.

Prentice and Rotobec are the only one's I have used. I have the Prentice right now a buddy of mine has both. Two bad you are so busy right now Wesley you and the family could fly over and stay with us and try a few out....:)
You guys are welcome anytime....

More enjoyable in what sense, Carl?

I have never had any issues towing it. Pulls real smooth.

Turning around would be easier. And no matter how smooth it seems to pull a gooseneck would be smoother.

Got any pics of this contraption?

Logs means you have a reasonably consistent COG of your load for a consistent tounge/axle weight ratio.

Loading debris makes the COG move around and goosenecks are more forgiving in that regard. As Justin mentioned, you can turn a good deal sharper. Backing is generally easier with a gooseneck, and bumps are smoother.

Still, if/when I get mine built, it'll be a bumper pull.

Speking of Gehl loader...
I have a nice one for sale.
It totally works has 800 hours and we use it .
I want a crane or a really big loader so this one needs to be sold.
TH members only
9000.00 You pay shipping or come get it.It needs new quick links for attachments points but i garrentee the pumps work.
Ill install umm for 150.00 each

"My Gehl will actually fit in the back of my Dodge and I could transport it that way. No need for any trailers then."
Gehl are awesome and my sale is an awesome deal.
Ask Wesley, You can turn on wet sod with a load and not see any marks or damage.

Back