Hooklift or grapple truck-which one?

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 9K
Logs means you have a reasonably consistent COG of your load for a consistent tounge/axle weight ratio.

Loading debris makes the COG move around and goosenecks are more forgiving in that regard. As Justin mentioned, you can turn a good deal sharper. Backing is generally easier with a gooseneck, and bumps are smoother.

Still, if/when I get mine built, it'll be a bumper pull.

And in the end, if you are going gooseneck, then you really need a dedicated truck for it. In that case I'd just get a triaxle with a big loader and a dumping box.

Good points. If it matters, the trailers I mentioned don't need to stay hooked to use the loader; you could park the trailer (about 18 feet long) and then park the truck elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

If it's either one of your original options, I'd go with the grapple, hands-down, if I couldn't get a grapple mounted on a roll-off chassis.

grapple on a roll off would be sweet

there are limitations to both ideas, but a thing to think of in the future is cost of ins, reg, ins,etc on a truck when a trailer is way cheaper in yearly cost vs a truck

i want a dumping self loader trailer
but they go for 20 g plus...ouch

thought about a roll off trailer and buying 2 boxes, 1 to mount a loader on and another to carry a mini in
dilemma

hmmm
let me know what you decide
thats a tough nut to crack

Speking of Gehl loader...
I have a nice one for sale.
It totally works has 800 hours and we use it .
I want a crane or a really big loader so this one needs to be sold.
TH members only
9000.00 You pay shipping or come get it.It needs new quick links for attachments points but i garrentee the pumps work.
Ill install umm for 150.00 each

where are you ? chatta vegas? isnt that by tim buk too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Grapple trucks are extremely expensive. I am currently trying to get a bank loan to buy a new 2009 23GT, even more expensive than a lightly used 2006 or 2007 grapple truck. If the bank doesn't approve my application for $125K for the balance of the 23GT (I already sent Teupen $25K deposit), I am hoping they will lend me at least $75K to buy a truck. Lenny at Teupen, told me he will send back my deposit if I cannot get the $125K loan.

After looking around on the web, I am now thinking of getting a hooklift, as I see hooklift containers with grapples. I need to search more as I would like to find a truck on the West Coast. I would hate to have to fly all the way to Southeast (where most of them are) to find a truck and drive it back to California for shipping to Hawaii.

Back