Homemade gear

climbing.jo

TreeHouser
So lets see some selfmade climbing gear:lol:! For starters here are some of my recent builds:
a chest harness, a hitchclimber rw midline attachable tether, and the haas knock off now with inner tubing for added smoothnes.

Im curious about your stuff, Cheers from Germany Johannes.

photo (1).JPG

this is the light weight climbing saddle i just made. its pretty great, no bells or whistles but a very smooth climb and very very light.
for some reason this photo is upside down. but you get the idea

this photo was before stitching was completed also there is no rope bridge in the photo just use your imagination

Last edited:
Recently posted this pulley saver I put together at another forum. As I said there; I'll be using this as a secondary for double crotching. Splicing would be nice, but I haven't a clue what that entails.

image.jpg

There are many folks on here that are master splicers and happy to share their knowledge if you want to learn.

Everything has pros and cons though, including the knots vs splices question.

I'm very interested. Definitely.

Would love to know if the splicing kits on TreeStuff would suffice in at least helping me make a better pulley saver and to loop the ends of my Yale Dynasorb rigging lines.

View attachment 53049

this is the light weight climbing saddle i just made. its pretty great, no bells or whistles but a very smooth climb and very very light.
for some reason this photo is upside down. but you get the idea

this photo was before stitching was completed also there is no rope bridge in the photo just use your imagination

Can I ask where you got the individual lower leg straps?

Are they rated?

Thanks,

Jomo

Something from me here:

1. Custom made vinyl (600g/m^2) and Cordura throw weight:

Снимка0050.jpg

Снимка0051.jpg

Lead shots for weight, filled into doubled thick rubber balloon. The inner color is contrasting with the color of the vynil so it can be spotted easily if the throw weight is torn.

2. Steel medium-sized arborist block

Снимка0056.jpg

Снимка0052.jpg

Снимка0053.jpg

Снимка0054.jpg

Снимка0055.jpg

Used for heavy loads only. Brass bushings instead of bearings, aluminum sheaves. Steel plates and axes, Стомана 45 (СТ45) according to the USSR/Bulgarian classification. I wanted to make it with stainless steel plates and stuff, but it was too expensive. Needs lubrication from time to time, it's heavy but it definitely rocks :)

Very good handicraft...thanks for sharing that.

Maybe show us some pictures of how you do treework in Bulgaria?

Yup!

This week we will have a small educational climbing weekend with some friends, so there will be pictures. And I will make some pictures of the other custom-made stuff in my bag :)

Back when I used tobacco...

Here's what I made to packs my smokes/lighter when climbing.

Attachments

• smoke 'em005.jpg
    smoke 'em005.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 181
Here is my incomplete Speed Line kit:

Снимка0058.jpg

Each loop is made of Beal tubular webbing 1" (25 mm), because I prefer some more flexibility. I don't want to loose the load, no matter if it is branches or small trunk wood. The sewing thread is polyester N15 AMANN (Germany). You can see the rubber fixator on each carabiner. The biners by the way are Singing Rock Oval Steel, screw lock. I think that there is no need of auto lock here, and I prefer steel because it will last longer than aluminum ones. And I always can use them for something else in the future, rigging or MA maybe.
The blue ones are 110 cm (43"), the red ones - 90 cm (35") and the yellow ones - 55 cm (22"). I will make a black ones - 150 cm (60") in the future, I just wait for this color to arrive at my local supplier.

And my homemade chainsaw straps:

Снимка0060.jpg

They are made of the same tubular webbing, same sewing thread, I just inserted a little oversized 25 mm (1") elastic band. I don't like that the rings are zink plated instead of stainless steel made, but I'll correct that in the future.
On the top of the straps you can see my homemade rope wrench stiff tethers. I will post a picture of my own RW inspired device when it is ready.

As you can see, all of my custom inventory is NOT FOR LIFE SUPPORT. Although, I've made 3 pieces of each software (webbing and stuff) and had them pull-tested on a certified pulling device. The breaking load was very close to the load, stated by the manufacturer. None of the stitches has shown signs of tearing. I should make some videos next time though...

I wish I had such balls like Mr. Beraneck here with his custom made adjustable friction savers. But I guess that's one of the many advantages of being an old school arborist. I hope that I will be that experienced someday... Or work with someone that experienced.

Cheers! :occasion5:

Back