Homemade gear

Yeah, wire wheel all day. Also if you hit your weld areas right before you weld them, they weld much easier and better because you get rid of the oxide layer. Aluminum is all about getting rid of the oxide layer to get to the actual metal. Think if it like taking paint off before stick welding it, or mill scale before mig. Aluminum is all about cleanliness

@flushcut grab a few of these or similar, this is what you are looking for.

Shop around, they are asking over 50 lol, and that's not even close, guess more around like 30. Ss aren't cheap, but neither is aluminum. That style is exactly what you need tho. And only use it on aluminum!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm getting there. I'll think of something I want to look up on the computer, and forget what it was by the time I cross the house :^/

Yea, I really don't like the phone though. It's great that it'll fit in my pocket, and I can use it in bed or out and about, but I like a real keyboard, and full featured computer. I have firefox sync on all my machines. I should probably open the page on the phone when I think of something, then access it on my desktop. I'm gonna ply around with KDE Connect too. That'll tether android to a gnu/linux desktop, and it's supposed to make it easy to share data/features between the machines. I want to see if that's something I'll find useful.

I've been totally off windows since 2009. Don't miss it at all. I use debian at home, and xubuntu at work; both with xfce desktop. It's update time this year for xubuntu. I may do a clean install. My work machine is 32bit, cause I took the hd out of a netbook, plugged it in, and have been using it ever since. I'd like to go to 64bit, and I want a bigger ssd, so that'll be a good time to do it. Or maybe not. Doing nothing's easier, and it works fine. I'll decide when the time comes.

Honestly I have no idea what a lot of that means, but I can still email and Netflix and even do some sweet photo editing on linux. For free, with no auto updates.

Im not a wicked computer savvy person, but with a bit of effort you can do a bunch of cool stuff! Can keep older computers working longer too. Really interesting creation.

The only time linux falls flat is when you *need* windows software. At work, that would be autocad plus survey addons. I don't do autocad though, and xubuntu handles everything else I need. Well, mostly. I have win 2kpro running in a virtual machine for the sole purpose of interfacing with my antique data collector. I can do it natively, but it's *much* slower. They used some kind of secret sauce to speed up transfers, and the company's no longer around to ask(one reason proprietary software's bad). I'd like to try to figure it out, but it's outside my area of expertise, and I'm not as inclined to sit in front of the computer at work as I used to be. If I get free time, I prefer cutting wood on the farm, or bushwhacking undergrowth.

It's been a few years, but linux has several drafting programs, and they don't cost 1000s a year either, in fact they're free.

I've played around with librecad(closest thing to autocad), and near as I can tell, it won't do what I'd find most useful. I don't think basic autocad will either. You need one of the addon packages to add survey functions. What I want to be able to do is import a plan sheet, click on lines on the drawing, generate 2D coordinates, then export them to a csv file. I've also fooled with a couple other proprietary programs that have linux support, and they seem to be the same. They'll do a bunch of stuff, but not what I need.

Like i said it's been a few years, which means i don't use it at all. I do know that drafting programs are unbelievably expensive if you aren't doing it all day every day for a ton of money. But i would assume for the average guy who might draw up some stuff to machine or flame cut or for modeling it would work fine.

Thanks Brian. I've tried some of those already, but there's a couple that are new to me, and may be useful. I'll go through them next chance I get, and see if something will work :^)

If any of you are on Windows and want much less expensive drafting software that uses all the AutoCad commands and shortcuts there is an Italian software called ProgeCAD. They have free versions also but with lots of limitations.

Currently I am paying $30.00 a year for ViaCad 2D. It does most everything I need at home but its commands are different from AutoCad so you need to retrain your mind if you are used to AutoCad at work.

Back