Homemade gear

Looks much nicer than the ones they sell, and those things are expensive!

Are you gonna put a strip of poly sheet or something like that inside it?

Looks much nicer than the ones they sell, and those things are expensive!

Are you gonna put a strip of poly sheet or something like that inside it?
I am going to line the skinny sides with some kind of hard plastic but haven't sourced it yet.
You made a saw scabbard?
Yes and thank you!
Nice job on that scabbard. Looks professional.
Thank you!
Now you need a Teflon liner!!!

Working on it Boss.

It’d get chewed up eventually but sure wood would work for a while. Try to keep the chain brake off so the chain rolls rather than drags the cutters across it.

Not this one about $35 in materials and I figure about an hour and half to make. I was thinking wood oak, beech, or sugar maple just because I have that around the shop but delrin plastic is what would be nice.

If it isn't terribly hard to line, I like the the idea of wood. No waste. When it's time to replace, you can put it in your stove. Or just throw it on the ground. No problems.

How would you get a bar-shape hole made in a solid piece of wood? Would you have to laminate it rather than one piece? Would moisture cause delamination?

Tap Plastics is a company around my area that has all types of plastic. I made a far more simple and crude scabbard out of (HDP ?) plastic - same as cutting boards. It lasted longer than the chipper.

The problem with the wood/plywood is that it stores the water, so the bar-chain is continuously in the humidity and can rust. Fear the rain.
Some years ago, the local big store made a display stand out of logs to show the chainsaws. You know, boring the log at an angle and living the saw there. Nice, but it was green logs. I pulled out some of them to look more closely : all the areas staying inside the log where rusty.

A big hole at the bottom's tip should allow the chips and the humidity to flow out.

I used the scabbard ALOT today and I might not line it at all. I have enough material it make several more so, burn it up.

Years ago there was someone here (I think) that made a bucket scabbard out of 3" or 4" pvc pipe.
Some cutting on it and the rest was thermoformed with the kitchen oven.

It's not like the aluminum will dull the saw will it? I bet it works great, everytime I rent a lift i spend all day thinking how nice it would be to have a scabbard:lol:

I didn't notice any dulling. I used a wood cutting saw and blade to make the scabbard so I'll keep you posted.

Back