highest paid climber?

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
Something I've been wondering about for a while. Who do you guys figure has made the most endorsement $$ as a tree climber?

A short list off the top of my head:

Ken Palmer
Rip Tompkins
Mark Chisholm
Bernd Strausser

These guys stick out because I've seen them in chainsaw adds as well as others (climbing lines, harnesses, etc.).

So what do y'all think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard from a reliable source that Mark C gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k to make an appearance for a day, not including travel and lodging.......

I bring it up because I've heard so many older guys around here talk s#!t about how Ken + Rip weren't necessarily the best, just good at capitalizing on being champs and whatnot.

You want to know who makes the most money?

That 'hack' who underbids everyone, and only hires folks who work for pennys.

I doubt Mark gets that. I would love to hear his input.

I don't think you'll ever get the straight story on the glamour boys.

What I would rather hear is the highest $$ paid climber that is a day in, day out climber. Where is the ceiling here? I don't know many climbers making over $50k. I mean making, not grossing ;) $200k a year don't mean squat - it is about what you take home ;)

You want to know who makes the most money?

That 'hack' who underbids everyone, and only hires folks who work for pennys.

Ummm no. endorsements/sponsorships, personal appearances.

I can't help but notice a cynical tone in your posts. Are you suffering from peepeeinthecheerios syndrome?:)

Id bet Mark C.

Being he is the Stihl poster child.

I like the logic.

Ken and Rip both have been (or are) Husky poster children. Sampson ropes, buckingham saddles.

I was asking because I am not sure if guys like this were endorsing products before ken+rip. Hoping some of the older guys could shed some light on the subject for me.

If anybody should be the highest paid, it should be Mark. He's done a lot for the industry and is a most humble human being, an excellent spokes person and instructor.

IMO Stihl is a much bigger name than husky, and the manufacturers which Ken and Rip endorse.

Who knows!

If anybody should be the highest paid, it should be Mark. He's done a lot for the industry and is a most humble human being, an excellent spokes person and instructor.

Agreed, Ive met all them all and Mark is all those things you say. Cant honestly say that about the others though.

True, he's also probably VERY busy. If someone asked him to appear on one of his few days off, he would probably command a very high rate.

I doubt Mark gets that. I would love to hear his input.

I don't think you'll ever get the straight story on the glamour boys.

What I would rather hear is the highest $$ paid climber that is a day in, day out climber. Where is the ceiling here? I don't know many climbers making over $50k. I mean making, not grossing ;) $200k a year don't mean squat - it is about what you take home ;)

I make well over 50K. But maybe you where talking about climbers employed by others. And yes I mean take home

Do rip and ken do treework?

I worked with mark for almost a year and he is a true tree guy and great guy to learn from. I would believe the appearrance fee is VERY high. I could see 15K happening. Do you know what Professional Insurance costs? Not very cheap.

love
nick

I totally heard from this friend of mine that Beddes charges $1000/hr just to compete in the ITCC! And, when he takes a tree down, he has saw techs that put a new chain on every time they fill the gas tank! Plus, he has a treeMotion for every day of the week! And when he takes lunch, he really likes olive bread but he doesn't like olives. So he has someone pick all of the olives out of his olive bread!

Do rip and ken do treework?

love
nick

Not sure if they still do. Probably pretty busy with the Arbormaster stuff. They worked around here for a long time, Rip sold his co (Barkbusters) to another excellent climber who won the NETCC a few times. I hear lots of stories about these guys, met Mark once, never met Beddes.

Funny stuff Hollywood.

I personally don't care how much any of these guys make. However, I'll repeat what some others have said: from the few interactions I've had with Mark Chisolm I agree that he is a really great guy and a tremendous asset to tree workers everywhere.

Back