Highball

Burnham

Woods walker
Has anyone seen or tried out these new throw weights that Sherrill is offering in their 2011 catalog? They're not really due to be available yet, but maybe someone got in on product testing? I can see some possibilities, especially for use with the Bigshot, but they are on the spendy side for a throwbag.

This is a copy/paste from a new products pdf I found on the net...here's a link, on the second page and zoom up the size to see the pics well.

www.sherrilltree.com/site/pdfs/NewProducts-2011Links.pdf

HighBall™ Throw Weights
In 1848, it was discovered that imperfections such as scratches and dents on
the surface of a golf ball (then made of dried tree sap) caused it to fly straighter
and farther. Within 2 years, the dimpled golf ball was born!
While examining pear-shaped fabric throw weights in action, both handthrown
and launched, we noted that the first few feet of flight consisted
of considerable pitch and yaw, until line drag straightened the nose.
Such wobble can be visibly detected during a BIG SHOT launch
and surely shaves momentum from both techniques. Oblong
shapes also play havoc with BIG SHOT launches because they
present a lopsided projectile that must be weight-centered
carefully to dissuade “flop-out.”
Besides killer accuracy, important to users is maneuverability
within a tree’s canopy.
The first thing users will find appealing about the
Highball is negative bounce—meaning that ricochets
are minimized. Second is the round shape that’s nearly
impossible to “wedge” into tight crotches, that pops up nicely
over twig clusters, and doesn’t settle on branches during
returns—a real annoyance when a large branch is directly
beneath the target crotch.
The Highball is not merely easy to maneuver, aerodynamic,
and BIG SHOT friendly, it is also tough, easy to spot in foliage,
and environmentally friendly. Molded from a high-tenacity
modified natural rubber latex jacket and filled with steel shot
(not lead), each Highball lasts longer and, if somehow lost,
doesn’t present environmental risk to wildlife.
AVAILABLE
MAY 2011

HB-10 $16.95 10 oz.
HB-12 $16.95 12 oz.
HB-14 $16.95 14 oz.
HB-16 $16.95 16 oz.

When I read it, I started thinking about putting a loop through a golf ball to use it as a throwbag.

If you have ever fired one off from a big shot, you'll know they go incredibly high.

But I don't know if one can drill a hole through them.

Any golfers here?

Seems to me they would get stuck in a tree pretty quick. Ill stick with wesspurs indestructable bags and for the really "Big Shots" we bust out the weapon.... Works like a charm for consistant 120' shots.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 11
When I read it, I started thinking about putting a loop through a golf ball to use it as a throwbag.

If you have ever fired one off from a big shot, you'll know they go incredibly high.

But I don't know if one can drill a hole through them.

Any golfers here?

I have drilled the odd golf ball in my misspent youth, not sure how the technology has advanced in recent years, but the ones with a solid core were the best to drill, the wound type core is a nightmare!

Don't ask what for.

I have drilled the odd golf ball in my misspent youth, not sure how the technology has advanced in recent years, but the ones with a solid core were the best to drill, the wound type core is a nightmare!

Don't ask what for.

Now you have me wondering what sexual oddities one could use a drilled golfball for.

I'm probably happier not knowing.

I recall Jerry's book showing a line gun, a rifle that shoots a cord attached projectile. Seems like the ultimate, wonder how many guys use those? It sure wouldn't fly here, with the crazy gun laws.

I recall Jerry's book showing a line gun, a rifle that shoots a cord attached projectile. Seems like the ultimate, wonder how many guys use those? It sure wouldn't fly here, with the crazy gun laws.

For those 900yd shots. I would guess nobody outside of the shipping industry, Navy/Coast Guard uses them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

For those 900yd shots. I would guess nobody outside of the shipping industry, Navy/Coast Guard uses them.

We had one around the Dorena training site for a short while, years ago...someone got it off a military surplus list. I decided we should try it out, and like a fool set the trial during the annual FS regional climbing instructor's workshop.

We all trooped out into a big open field, maybe 10 acres of grass and seed trees planted on a real wide spacing. Fired that mother off with about 1 degree of deflection off of plumb, to the east, just to see how high it threw...the projectile was a hunk of steel about 5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter, trailing a braided nylon cord about 1mm in diameter off of a huge cone-shaped spool.

That sucker went up, up, up, up, looked like over the friggin' moon. And got caught in the jet steam up there where the airliners pass...blew it off to the south about 1500 feet, where it came down at just shy of the speed of light, right through the plastic double layer roof of one of the huge greenhouses where seedlings are started.

Thankfully, I didn't kill anyone working inside the greenhouse, but it sure punched a neat hole in that greenhouse roof...took some digging to retreive the damn thing, too.

The whole fiasco was witnessed by 30-some students and instructor candidates...boy, did I feel small that day :|:.

It went back on a surplus list shortly thereafter, as I recall.

Last edited:
Back