Highball

I have my doubts, but maybe there is something to it worth merit. Having used the Big Shot many times to drape a string over limbs close to 200 feet. The projectile would hook and slice for no apparent reason at times. Made for many spent shots and time to get the string where we wanted it.

Still it was possible to do it from the ground and in spite that it took many shots in vain eventually our efforts gave us access. Impossible 15 year ago.

...That sucker went up, up, up, up, looked like over the friggin' moon. And got caught in the jet steam up there where the jetliners pass...blew it off to the south about 1500 feet, where it came down at just shy of the speed of light, right through the plastic double layer roof of one of the huge greenhouses where seedlings are started...

Hahaha! That is a great story Burnham!

I am also very interested on just how well these new throw weights will work. Like Jerry said, I also have had what appeared to be good shots, veer in flight and suspect that the round weights will be more consistent. Their claims for reducing ricochets, if they pan out, would be greatly appreciated. Golf balls would work great if it weren't for their propensity to bounce and ricochet. It is easy enough to drill a hole in a solid core golf ball. One of the why's for doing so, is they make incredibly affective and virtually indestructible bolos. Very light, very fast.

A slight derail here. Paul, could you tell us more about the crossbow set up? How heavy is the arrow, is there enough weight to pull the line down consistently? I have a crossbow and would love to set it up for setting line, but I'm pretty concerned for the potential of misfires, as in the line getting tangled; because of their incredible power, bad things can happen fast. Also, if you value your fingers, don't make a habit of holding a cocked crossbow in the manner your picture shows. It's akin to chambering a round with your hand in front of the barrel.

Dave

Dave, I cannt remember off the top of my head the exact weight of the bolt but it was about 1 lbs. I needed it to leave the bow at 80 fps to attain 100 feet so weight is determined by the amount of energy your bow gives the projectile. The bolt is simply 3/8 mild steel with some 7/16 nuts on the end to add weight and I just tie a slip knot around the front of the bolt with the throw line which slips back and catches on the fletching after launch. Bolt always came down with no problems which was good as Im sure it wouldnt pull back out too well. Overall I was amazed at the accuracy and smoothness of the system, worked like a charm. I hear ya on the potential finger loss issue:|:

I guess with no rotation the throwbag is kind of like throwing a knuckle ball. They're kind of unpredictable too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave, I cannt remember off the top of my head the exact weight of the bolt but it was about 1 lbs. I needed it to leave the bow at 80 fps to attain 100 feet so weight is determined by the amount of energy your bow gives the projectile. The bolt is simply 3/8 mild steel with some 7/16 nuts on the end to add weight and I just tie a slip knot around the front of the bolt with the throw line which slips back and catches on the fletching after launch. Bolt always came down with no problems which was good as Im sure it wouldnt pull back out too well. Overall I was amazed at the accuracy and smoothness of the system, worked like a charm. I hear ya on the potential finger loss issue:|:

The guys I know out here using crossbows to set lines are using hollow aluminum field point bolts that they fill with lead shot. They use a fishing reel and monofiliment for initial placement...I'm sure the bolt doesn't weigh as much as Dave's, but the heights they are reaching for are twice as high. They have no fletching at all on the bolt, and attach the mono by tying it through a small hole drilled through the notch end of the bolt. The line drag keeps flight true in the absence of the fletching.

I went with the steel bolt as I was worried hollow one might fold under the huge amount of force excerted causing undisired effects..... Yeah Im sure with lighter bolt and line I could attain much greater hieght however I saw no reason to shoot the line 150' OVER the tallest tree around here:P

For sure! I was just reporting, not criticizing :). The hard part about using a crossbow is the inability to modulate the launch power, like you can with a slingshot or long bow.

Your combination seems perfectly suited to the intended purpose.

I have the identical line gun. It's a serious toy, believe me. Though I haven't used it for quite some time. Might as well unload it just for that reason.

To stateside members of the House only, give me a number between 0 and 100 closest to the one I have written on my desk top,, and you will receive the Bridger Line gun. Though you must assume the shipping that comes with it.

This number guessing game will end on midnight 4-30-11. First correct guess gets it. For serious guessers only.

I do have some line and projectiles, but can not ship the cartridges. Their old anyway. Have fun.

Wow! Just what I need...another opportunity to punch a hole in the roof of a building :|:.

Thanks, Jer...think I'll pass :D.

Back