Helmet comms

The bulk of the smh10 has been a non issue for me. And the big button on it is nice for with gloves on.

I need to stop being such a sloth and mount one of the ones Ive got on my helmet. I have heard that the range of the Rs is nowhere near the others but don't know that first hand. Tell you guys what, Ill do it tomorrow and report back next week.

I think Chip mounted a couple of the lower profile ones on his helmets and likes them. I guess he had his on the side near top.
I am with Justin on this.. The large button/knob is nice with the gloves on.

I have had a little issue with mine, and figured out a work around.

If I have my bluetooth set up, like if I get to the site first and am listening to tunes from my phone, and able to answer the phone, and keeping my ears warm, and another helmet tries to link, or me to them, it doesn't work. I turn off the bluetooth, link the comms, then turn on my blue tooth again. Not a big deal if everyone stays in range, but if someone goes somewhere in the truck, its a bit of an inconvenience.

This happened the day before yesterday. It didn't link while BT was activated to either of the other two units. Erik is out of town, so we didn't see how it worked with having all three on. Friday, we will.

...oh, yeah, is was pissed off that I was going to have to go back to shouting and turning off the saw to hear and having relatively poor communication, and much limited joking around.

Sean, call Sena and talk to them. Im guessing though that they will just ask you to send it back and they will send you a new one. Only sucky part is you will be out of a unit for a week.

I would like to figure out a good, available box that is just bigger than a helmet, like a rubbermaid bin, into which I can put some foam or the like, and have a good place to store the helmets, maybe run the power wire through a hole for overnight storage without having to keep the box open. Maybe attach the cords to the boxes, letting them sit on the shelf behind the seat in the extra cab, and stretching the cord to the power supply, so they stay in their travel position. Protecting it all a bit. I guess ventilation will be a consideration.

Sean, can you hang them in the truck? We put a couple 3M hooks on the back window/wall of the truck, between the passenger and driver side. Can charge the sena's in the cigarette lighter outlet. It has worked well.

I will second what Paul say's about sending the defective headset to Sena. One of our headsets had went dead, and Sena replaced it at no cost.

Yup Im running a 10r right now and like it. Seems to have comparable range , I haven't inadvertently "hit the button" yet and Ive had my head in some dense brush. Only slight downside is I find it very hard to find the buttons with gloves on, shoot I can hardly find the unit let alone the buttons:lol:

Found a great review of the Sena R units if you have been tempted to buy one. Reads like a lot of tree people might choose away from this in favor of the bulkier SMH10 units. Also does a good job of explaining the pairing idiosyncrasy.

I’m a slave to fashion/sharp looks, so I’m still glad I have one on the way. Sorry the install is going to be harder Bonner.

http://www.gizmag.com/sena-smh10r-review-bluetooth-helmet-intercom/26430/

Merle, after reading that I would say the only negative for the arborist user is the 35% battery life reduction along with the obvious gloves issue. Instalation is somewhat trickier but when you have it down not bad, we use some shrink wrap to tidy up the wires. All in all I would think these are better suited to the climber as he is more likely to have his head in brush and inadvertently "push the button"

Back