heads up...cell phone scam

No_Bivy

Treehouser
So after reviewing my bill I found some wierd charges around text messages..

turns out that spammers are sending premium text messages for extra charges. Anywhere from 1.99 to 9.99 each! Guess what, after it has come through there is nothing you can do! at least that is what verizon told me

you have to text back "unsubscribe" to stop it. But that only works for that text. There is also what is called "pretexting". Basically someone calls you asking for someone else. They try and get info like your name or address.....then start spamming texts to you.

Both were happening on my wifes line, so I blocked text from that phone. That is really the only way to stop it at this point. Cell companies are so full of shit....when I asked where the money went they could not tell me. What about the paper trail?

so beware.

Several years ago when I got my very first text-enabled phone I didn't think much of it until my very first text- It was a spam text at 11pm on a Sunday night. It took me three times over 3 months of calling AT&T to get them to finally disable all texting and internet access on my account (in that time I got several more spam texts) but they finally did it after I told them I was canceling my account and going to Verizon.

I've never had any reason or desire to enable texting since. I spend enough time online at home that I don't need it when I'm out and about. If somebody wants to tell me something then just call.

If they made me a high bill from spamers, and would not work something out I think I would get rid of verison with the texting option! That is some sorry scam crap right there. I am with sprint, and I pay one flat rate for EVERYTHING. There is no "premium" junk. I just pay my bill and enjoy my smart phone.

had my sevice for over a year, and no problums.

Buddy of mine that doesn't text had a few come in from someone named Cheyenne, his wife found them on his phone. Was a little awkward here that evening!

Cause the texts were about meeting her somewhere, his wife got a little suspicious that maybe she was real

How do you know it was a "she"?

Cheyenne is my brother's name (the third oldest).

Well, that might be even more awkward - secretly meeting a guy instead of a gal. :lol:

Haha, no doubt! You don't know it was a she but if your wife looked at those texts she would be forced to at least ponder the possibility

Lots of phone scams here directed at the elderly. "Your son was in an automobile accident and immediate surgery is required to save his life, so it is imperative that you make a deposit for eight thousand into this account...do you have a pencil and paper handy?"

So many people were allowing themselves to get duped that the police were stationing themselves at ATMs to try and stop anybody making the transfer. The warnings have been widespread, but occasionally you hear on the news of someone still getting suckered. People panic and lose perspective. Scumbags that do that...:X

Back