Hanging limbs

Reg,

I may have missed it in the explanation. Is there a way to use only use the prussic, I like minimal gear. I imagine the sling is easier to take off and throw the last piece down. Have you done it with only the prussic before? This really useful, thanks for the pics, love the videos...sometimes it's easier to study the pic, videos can be a wee bit too fast. Do you use multiple slings to leave on and retrieve on the ground?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reg,

I may have missed it in the explanation. Is there a way to use only use the prussic, I like minimal gear. I imagine the sling is easier to take off and throw the last piece down. Have you done it with only the prussic before? This really useful, thanks for the pics, love the videos...sometimes it's easier to study the pic, videos can be a wee bit too fast. Do you use multiple slings to leave on and retrieve on the ground?

You could use a really long prussic and choke the limb with a clevis....but there'd be no advantage. Not sure I understand about multiple slings and retrieving them later. Maybe one big and one small, but you keep them with you.

No five bills a day here, either.

And there you go.

There's just not the money on the jobs to spread around, Jon. Homeowners wont pay for it. You could charge 5 bills, but you'd be down to maybe one, two days work per week.

And there you go.

There's just not the money on the jobs to spread around, Jon. Homeowners wont pay for it. You could charge 5 bills, but you'd be down to maybe one, two days work per week.

I've British ancestry in my blood sufficient to go down proudly in my five bill ship, keeping a stiff upper lip as I blow bubbles!

Seriously! If some bloke on Wall Street can make millions while never risking any hide whatsoever?

Why can't I charge 120 K per year to risk life and limb each work day?

Jomo

There's just not the money on the jobs to spread around

Yes, sad fact. What happens over time with that too, is that we forget that it is a good way to go whenever possible. Getting your buds in on jobs where they can give the money to their wives too. :lol:

Jay

Reg, thanks for the vids. All of them. Don't think I've said it before, but I've learned a bit from watching your work. This is a good crew here, very social and personal in my experience.

And there you go.

I was getting $30 AUS an hour back in 98'. That was when the only decent climbers out there were itinerant Brits. I had a friend contact me recently and offer me a job doing similar work in Aus for $20 an hour.

I understand your motives for working hard and chipping etc. Still think it's not right.

The multiple slings I have used and tossed out o the tree with the limbs and collect them once on the ground, but if the limbs are not over targets I can see the WHY in having only one sling now.

I was getting $30 AUS an hour back in 98'. That was when the only decent climbers out there were itinerant Brits. I had a friend contact me recently and offer me a job doing similar work in Aus for $20 an hour.

I understand your motives for working hard and chipping etc. Still think it's not right.

That's insulting! I assume he would be taking your tax and super out of that too, sheesh, you'd end up paying him!

I'm very happy to see an other great man in this place.

I love your vids.
What amazes me is that you never seems to fight with the tree, smooth and easy. That's awesome, so far from what I can do.:big-not-worthy:
But I learn and progress...

The Tree House represents a nice collection of skills and technics. The benefits for either the beginners or not so rookies are invaluable.
Thanks for that, you all.:beerchug:

Who has a block driver, and how much do they want for it?

Maybe a dozen of them floating out there.
can we not talk about that Brian. Probably my biggest mistake in the last 10 years. Cost me a small fortune. A black hole in every sense. edit or just no teasing at least. Lotta bad memories for me on that one...but I did learn a lot too.

Awesome pics Reg and thanks for posting!

I have had a brutal winter with too many issues/problems that nobody needs to hear about, so I haven’t been very active on the forums as much as I would like. I will try to fix that as time allows.

I have used the hanging limb/s with sling/s technique with a lot of success many times before. It’s a great method to use when a ground worker isn’t around to help with the lowering operations.

I remember years ago when I was young and naïve and just starting out pricing my own jobs. I would bid everything way too long to get the job and then try to do everything without a ground worker. Back then, even Heide (my wife) didn’t want to do tree work with me. I would take the job ,rig the top and branches to hang out of the way and descend down and cut everything up to be removed later. Not too smart of me to work alone, and probably that is part of the reason that I have stoved up my elbows and shoulders so bad, but when you are young, have a family and are trying to save a dollar so your kids have food, things get sacrificed…my body being one of them. Looks like nowadays we have to do the same thing sometimes. I too, have worked trees with 2 climbers and then we proceed to become ground workers to finish the job. Like you said, it’s all about using the available man-power and being able to get the work. Hell, I have a friend of mine who’s a logger and he makes $12/hr LESS than he did back in 1983! I’m just glad to still be able to work and get some tree jobs now and then.

Anyways, thanks again for the great pics!

Hey Chris, good post. Reminds me of all the things that can go wrong with working solo.

The biggest one I've experienced is; whilst pruning, having my tail end entangling in the brush below and me being stuck from moving anywhere. The last big prune job I did solo -I made certain my line wasn't encumbered by brush, but I instead lost my polesaw to the ground. Luckily I didn't have to come down. I was able to loop the hook and pull it back up to me.

Back