Gun Safe

• Thread starter Rotax Robert
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 5K
Carl, look for a safe made by Tyco/Sentry. They manufacture for many other brand names. They are high quality.

They have custom dollies made for moving safes. The local shop's can turn the safe anywhichaway.

Most safes are under 30" wide, so they can fit through a standard doorway.

Alright Andrew.

Also, we have a concrete foundation, as opposed to a conventional foundation. With a conventional, the floor would normally have to be re-enforced.

I got mine safe (vintage 4 # safe) from the City's police property room before they tore the building down to build a new one. Not bad for a case of beer eh!

It took the better part of the day to load it on my truck with 3 guys. Once home, I had to build a wooden ramp up to my back door and lower it down the stairwell on a piano skid via my truck & crappy hardware store rope.

Well the rope broke and the safe slid down the stairs and got pinned between the cart & upper floor support or "I"-beam. Had to kick out a basement window to get downstairs so I could free the skid from the safe. Then I was able to position it properly in my den.

I knew the 4 digit combination number but had the same problem of not knowing the rotation sequence! Thank god the door was left open and I was able to access the lock panel & see the tumblers to figure it out!!!

I gutted the inside shelving and replaced it with 3/4" plywood walls,(top & bottom). I partitioned off the safe in the middle with storage shelving on one half and a 12 position long gun rack on the other half.

I should have made more racks!!!
-----------------------

Carl,

For that kinda money (4K'ish...), maybe you can build your own safe with solid concrete & steel walls and a heavy thick safe door & frame combo! I think they sells the doors w/frames so guys can customize their own room to taste. This may be over kill but I know some guys who have done this.

Just a thought is all.

HC

True Justin, but those BIG safes weigh ten jillion pounds. Even if the thieves noticed it they wouldn't be able to do much about it.

Around here they just used a old wrecker. Put a cable around it and pull it through the wall. Take it down the road and cut it open. Finally one group got caught going down the road with the vault/safe swinging on the hook.

Same process for ATM's.

Check out Zanotti They come in six pieces. Very well thought out. Easily disassembled and moved. When it's time for me to move up that's what I'll be purchasing.

TS

Back