GRCS...what lines are best?

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I am happy to report that I am now at a point in the company where not only does it make sense to buy a GRCS, but we also have the money to do it. I'm getting the newest model from treestuff. I have used the device a lot over the years, but this is my first chance to own one of my own.

Any recommendations on what lines to get or what extras I should get? We have only ever stocked a 9/16 Double Esterlon on our truck. I was thinking of stepping up to a 5/8". Maybe 3/4"

Anyone using that hood visor thing?

love
nick

3/4" is a lot of weight to tote around unless you're doing absurdly large removals or pieces, which in that case I would switch to a port-a-wrap or a HOBBS before I would want to be doing that kind of rigging on a GRCS, at least from my own personal experience.

We typically use 5/8" line on larger TD's. I like the weight to strength ratio of 5/8" double braid. If i can get away with it, I still prefer 9/16" stable as it is an easy line to use in the tree. Day to day, I use true blue for roping down branches and smaller material with a port-a-wrap. If you already have 9/16 I would try 5/8. We have both in 200'.

jp:D

We rock 1/2" to 9/16" stable braid for day to day and have not really come into a need for bigger lines as of yet. The visor still sits waiting for its day.

200ft of 9/16 is our most commonly used line. That's Dynasorb. Next might actually be 150ft of 1/2 XTC. Last is our 150ft of 5/8 Husky. For the most part I like stretchy ropes. When lifting, you can easily take the stretch out and it makes for a softer top removal. If clearance is an issue when dropping something, we just rig smaller. We do have 9/16 Stable Braid but that doesn't come out much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sage advice. Thanks gentlemen. We do have a tree coming up that's 3/4" worthy, but a new 5/8 is as good as a best up 3/4", right?! :)

I'll go with a 5/8 x 200' Double Esterlon

For pure lifting, a dyneema rope is best!

love
nick

Sage advice. Thanks gentlemen. We do have a tree coming up that's 3/4" worthy, but a new 5/8 is as good as a best up 3/4", right?! :)

I'll go with a 5/8 x 200' Double Esterlon

For pure lifting, a dyneema rope is best!

love
nick

Nick, for someone that has been said that you to do 10 minutes of chainsaw work in a week or two, on an occasional interval, and do much fine pruning, with dog-ears being poo-poo'ed, what kind of removal have you scores that might take 3/4"? An interesting change of pace, eh? Ready with the chip truck, chipper, grcs...ready for takeoff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On the docket are a 36" DBH euc that had barely any brush and a ton of wood to rig out. Several tons...actually!

And after that a 90' tall recently dead canary Island pine.

Decent sized trees but perhaps not 3/4" worthy

love
nick

If you have the tools, AND the trees are strong enough to go big...

No crane access? Some or all negative blocking?

Will you rent a machine for moving all that stuff?

Back