Governor

Stumper

Treehouser
Anyone know of a source for a Ford(perhaps universal) belt driven governor? The one on the Olathe 984 chipper EXPLODED (2.3 litre Ford 4 banger). I can still operate by setting the throttle to a reasonable speed and putting up with some bogging but I'd like to find a Guv'nuh.

Is that a 2.3 liter OHC engine AKA Pinto /Ranger engine or is it a 2.3 OHV engine which is a cut down 250 6 banger .Both were used for industrial engines .Both ultimently became 2.5 liter engines towards the end of their perspective lives before they were obsoleted .BTW my name is on both models on the very last of those engines that were produced .Fact I think my name is on 6 different models some are at the Smithsonian institute and some at the Henry Ford musiem .

I couldn't specially find a "Ford " belt driven gov but I found a link that might help and a picture .

The picture is typical of the types I've seen on every thing from combines ,water pumps ,welders or Ford 300's on chippers . Fact I have a similar one on a Willeys powered welder .Tom might have one on a junk 300 come to think of it .

About the only cheap source I can think of is a junk yard --link http://www.foleyengines.com/resourc...-tags/hoofpierce-governor-instructional-guide

Attachments

• mechanicalgovernor.jpg
    mechanicalgovernor.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 37
We had one just like tht on our walnut harvester Al. Ford 300. Have you tried your local NAPA or parts store Justin?

I found a couple on flea bay under the search of "Willeys governor " they would or could be made to work .One was a Novi which uses steel balls spun by cyntrifical force into a curved plate that uses a bumper screw with a spring to set the rpms .This exact brand is used on Masseys Feurgeson tractors although built into the engine rather than bolt on .Prices were from 50 to around 200 bucks used .

Now probabley some place on the housing of that governor is a brand and model number .Providing the housing didn't get blown to kingdom come when it flew apart .

In a way .They used to use a throttle plate gov on Ford state trucks to limit top speed to 45-50 MPH .It was a secondary set of butter flies under the carb which ran off of engine vacuum . I doubt they would be as responsive to load variations as a belt driven fly weight gov .

Really the gov was a waste of time for it's intended purpose because those old y block Ford V8's on ton and half dump trucks would be lucky to make 50 MPH with 7- 8 ton of stone on them .They might make 70 unloaded on flat ground .

Back