Getting Hartford Insurance

NickfromWI

King of Splices
After years of seeing The Hartford mentioned at trade shows and trade mags, I've decided to get my insurance through them. I've never been insured to do tree work before.

Any tips? I'm doing it 2 ways right now. I called a local "The Hartford" agent and they are doing their homework on what paperwork needs to be filled out to get insured through their arborist insurance program. At the same time I am calling hartford directly and seeing and I can find the information faster myself. I want to do whatever it takes to get the ball rolling right as fast as possible.

When I talk to local agents (straight from the phone book) they keep trying to set me up with construction or contacters insurance. They send me these applications with irrelevent questions like, "on average, how many tons of concrete do you install per month?"

Ummm...zero? Is that an option?

love
nick

(ps- I'm starting the thread for my own benefit, but also to help others that may be considering the same thing in the future)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The number to call is 800-533-7824. For questions about the "arborist" program, press 2.

I had to leave a message.

I had The Hartford for my liability insurance for many years with no problems at all. They seem to be a good, stable company. However, I recently switched to Westfield Insurance and saved about 25% for the same coverage.

When I tried to get my insurance through them, I was told that they would not cover my bucket truck so I ended up getting a policy through Progressive. On the business liability they were way out of line pricewise for a sole proprietorship.

When I tried to get my insurance through them, I was told that they would not cover my bucket truck so I ended up getting a policy through Progressive. On the business liability they were way out of line pricewise for a sole proprietorship.

Yup, I had Progressive for the vehicles and Hartford for the liability. We had an issue with a claim last year involving the bucket and a guy wire that was knocked down while working aloft. Progressive said it was a liability claim and Hartford said it was an auto claim. I forget which one ended up paying for it, but that's when I switched to Westfield, who now provides both liability and vehicle coverage... and it's less money.

Not yet. I know it is required in CA, but I have to fly without it for the immediate time being. I've got bills to pay and I have to keep the money flowing.

For now I have to study, figure out where to take the tests, talk with my dad (a licensed CA general contractor) and try to find as many sub-$500 jobs as possible.

Any tips? Apparently I need a Class C, aka a C-61 subcategory D-49 for Tree Services. Are they going to make me learn about fixing homes, too? I sure hope not!

love
nick

Brett, thanks for the tip on Westfield. It just so happens that I got my renewal notice for my truck policy this week, so I just sent an email to my agent asking him about Westfield.

My arborist's liability is with Nautilus... I don't know if they write policies in CA.

No Bivy- what was their reason, or did they just not respond.

I'm concerned about getting insurance for just one person.

love
nick

Nick:Apparently I need a Class C, aka a C-61 subcategory D-49 for Tree Services. Are they going to make me learn about fixing homes, too? I sure hope not!

I have the C-27, which lets me do ANYTHING in the landscape. Trees, retaining walls, irrigation, whatever.

Handy, but requires more knowledge to pass the test.

My insurance is through mid-continent. i think its both liability and auto, though im not 100% certain. thats what I have an agent for.

im currently getting quotes on carrying my own work comp. up till now, ive gone through a temp serv for workers, but im kind of getting tired of the guys that want to work thier schedule and not mine.

Seems different up here. I have an insurance agent that I deal with and he got all my info did all the legwork and I just signed and payed. Easy peasy.

Some may say it's more that way but he layed out the quotes from a few different companies and explained the strengths/weakness of said companies and his kickback comes from the insurane companies for bringing them clients.

hartford wouldn't give me the time of day:X

It's probably cause you live in Asheville. :lol:

... They gave me a quote and were waiting for a check in the mail when I was in Maryland. :? That's odd they would give me a quote but not you.

The limited specialty like i have the test is only about contracting law. The license like Frans is a landscaping license and you have to take test on the law and a test on your trade. I have a friend who is doing it right now and the State has hired on some more people in the licensing bureau and the waits aren't as horrendously long as they used to be. It took me 9 months from application time until I sat for my test. This guys is doing it in 4 weeks. I think the application fee is $250 and the license itself is $450 for 2 years. You also then need a $12,500 contractor's bond that costs a little over a hundred a year. I'll bet about half the tree services around here operate without one, but it makes you much more legitimate with one. What is a big time actor like you doing trimming trees anyway?:?

Any tips? Apparently I need a Class C, aka a C-61 subcategory D-49 for Tree Services. Are they going to make me learn about fixing homes, too? I sure hope not!

love
nick

I think the CA and HI contracting classes are almost the same. In HI, a C-27 Landscaping, can do trees (C-27B) and hydromulching (C-27C). A C-27B cannot plant or move trees, but a C-27 can.

Anyway, some of the biggest companies here don't even have a license. One guy here has 4 chippers, 2 cranes, 2 75 ft. forestry rigs, 4 other bucket trucks, 1 excavator, 1 full size skidsteer, 2 chip trucks and 2 open top dump trucks, 17 employees and no license.

I have a C-27B, was going to take the test for a C-27, but never got around to it and never will since I will fully retire in 4 years.

I think Tom Nanos has retired!

Oh, I got a call from The Hartford headquarters today. They just told me that you need to go through a local agent. They gave some names of people in my area. If you try going through a local agent, you can speed things up by telling the agent to call the hartford and say they need to talk to the Middle Market department, specifically the Arborist Program. That will allow them to get straight to the good stuff.

Does bonded mean I get 12,500, hand it to some dude (a bonding agency) and for $100 a year they will hold on to the money in case something bad happens? I never got the whole "bonded and insured" thing.

love
nick

I think Tom Nanos has retired!

Oh, I got a call from The Hartford headquarters today. They just told me that you need to go through a local agent. They gave some names of people in my area. If you try going through a local agent, you can speed things up by telling the agent to call the hartford and say they need to talk to the Middle Market department, specifically the Arborist Program. That will allow them to get straight to the good stuff.

Does bonded mean I get 12,500, hand it to some dude (a bonding agency) and for $100 a year they will hold on to the money in case something bad happens? I never got the whole "bonded and insured" thing.

love
nick

No, it just means that you pay a insurance company a $100 (or whatever the amount is) and the insurance company puts up a bond payable to the California State Contractor's Licensing Board and if you screw anyone over like take money and don't do the work then head to Argentina to do Honda commercials, the consumer can go through the licensing board and they will go after the bond to recover the consumer's money up to $12,500. If you don't screw anyone over then the insurance company keeps their money and yours and it's all good. At least that is how I understand it.

bond is also tied to your credit. the amount you pay for your bond goes up if your credit score is low. if someone gets your bond, your credit will be screwd for awhile

Ahhhh. I thought I had to have to 12,500 sitting somewhere.

Okay- that makes much more sense. Seems pretty easy. I pay $100 (or whatever the cost is) and I'm able to tell people I'm bonded!

When I'm ready to leave to US, I wait for one HUGE job, ask for $12,500 in advance, then leave town, and I get cash for free, and they'll get their money back. Am I understanding it right? ;)

love
nick

Back