Getting a new flipline, thoughts...

I prefer the Petzl Macro more than the little Climb Right adjuster. Still use it as a back up though from time to time for 1/2 line on pitchy trees. The Macro is just easier to operate due to the size I think. For me anyway.

Sean, if you want to go ahead and get the bigger diameter cable core flipline, and want to try it with the Macrograb, I could easily send you a loaner to try out on it. Just holler if you want to do that.

I spur climb with 5/8ths cable core, and the Macrograb. I can release and adjust it out under almost any situation except suspended on it.

Now this may seem silly, but when I bought my first 5/8ths cable core, I got it with clips on each end. My reasoning was as I wear the cover, I could just turn the flip line around and use the other end. Once I retired my first one, I cut the clips off and saved them. Now I just have to buy the basic two eye unit and add the clip with a pear shape link.
fli106-500.gif

With the Petzl macro grab, this was a nice set up :)

And drag that extra heavy as heck snaphook around until you switched ends?? No thanks. I'm frugal, but not that frugal.
:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, B. I'll keep that in mind.

Are you able to release it with one hand using one on the Macro, and one on the flipline to reduce the force on the Macro? I lower out on my small ascender with one hand when the flipline is more horizontal (lower load), and with two when the load is higher.

My biggest concern, though I try to anticipate a circle-of-death scenario, is a trunk splitting while I'm clipped D-to-D with a cable core that can't be cut, nor an adjuster than can't be cut or released. I'll choke the flipline and connect to my bridge if I'm concerned. Sometimes, tho rare, chunking down leaning hardwoods will result in an Unexpected split. I put in sapwood/ kerf cuts for topping trees if I'm ever in doubt.

As to the release, I think you and I are doing it about the same. Another method I frequently employ is to grip the macro in one hand with the cam arm in my palm and fingers around the shell, then just rotate my hip towards the macro a smidge while tightening my hand grip. Slightly lessens the load and allows me to loosen the cam and slide the adjuster back.

One thing you could consider doing to mitigate your concern re the lanyard...a short sewn loop can be girthed onto the cam eye and then clipped to the D. In an emergency that cuttable link could be severed. I don't do this myself just because I hate the floppy connection, but it does offer that advantage.

For me Macro on a 5/8" 12' steel core maxi flip and a Gibbs Ascender on a 1/2" 8' Sherril steel core with the funny looking pressed aluminum crimps. Each lanyard has only 1 steel swival snap.
I always have both steel lanyards on each side of my saddle attached with a Wichard twist clevis. All steel for me, just a little extra to help bring me home to the family each climbing day.

The short sling used as Burnham described is s.o.p. here in the UK and known as a "cuttable link" for rescue
You get used it quickly enough & in some was it is a improvement as it orientates itself better than any clevis or krab

Back