gettin' ready

• Thread starter Treevet
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 7K
Nice to finally see pics of your work, Dave....!

Thank you.

Me next, go lookee...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll find out No Bivy

Don't usually work that hard (intentionally) Skwerl

Thanks Rog, I saw the big tulip tk dn, great job

Thanks Gerry

Respectively

I guess your bar was too short to ALAP the stump properly? I like my final cut go with the log so I don't have any stump to cut and THEN load it. ;)

I guess your bar was too short to ALAP the stump properly? I like my final cut go with the log so I don't have any stump to cut and THEN load it. ;)

I was too damn tired to walk across the street to get the 090 or 88 which I got ready the night before. It didn't take long with the 66 with new chain. Did most of the cutting while they, op and gm, were booming.

The last boom prior to the stump was capacity (jib was removed by then) so I could cut it from the ground at head height. We actually had to set it on the ground and cut it in half to boom over the street into the truck. It is a relatively small crane but very handy and an exceptional op. I use a couple of other svcs over the years, this guy is real good, real available (only will work for one other tree guy in the city) and real reasonable.

Ya use what ya got and make it work! I have no problem making an extra stump cut. Been doing it that way for over 20 years and it's never been a problem. I'm much happier getting rid of all that weight over my head from a standing position anyway. ;)

As long as the crane can handle it, I'd rather make one cut and be done with it. :|:

As long as the crane can handle it, I'd rather make one cut and be done with it. :|:

With a big whole tree chipper capable of eating it, it has to be the fastest most efficient form of tree removal possible without the use of atomic weapons!

jomoco

It was too much to take the stump with the previous piece. He's the boss on that one but it was not even considered. The previous cut was marginal.

Lots of times I will drop sticks with the notch flush with the ground and the back cut the same. I hate cutting stumps but if you have the gm do it you gonna be lookin at a dull saw.

I wanted to drop this stick where the crane sat and use his boom to put the yankovitch on it. But he was concerned he would get his boom jerked and I said the hell with it. It wasn't probably worth the re set time anyway and I'd a had to move the picker and the crane was in the way....and so on and so on. We got it all done in one day, my main concern.

With a big whole tree chipper capable of eating it, it has to be the fastest most efficient form of tree removal possible without the use of atomic weapons!

jomoco

That is true, but I have considered putting my wood furnace on a trailer and taking it on jobs. Burned about 10 cords of wood this winter and got maybe couple of garbage cans of ash in my back yard. (just kidding but it is a thought)

Heck yea, I've had to do it for the weight factor a few times. That's the only time it's logical to do it like that.

You're right...lots of times the damn choker wants to come of a short stump. You can cut notches but that is extra work too.

So Dave, are you still a moderator over at TW????

No Brent, but it was me that decided to leave unlike in your case. Got no hard feelings towards anybody over there. Just looking for a more predominantly American site and esp. this one that has seasoned treemen and you don't have spend all your time teaching novices and talking PPE.

Thought you weren't talking to me again you old fart.

I actually applaud your call on finish the stump the next day. When you are done.. You are done.. I have the chaps to prove the point. I said I was done once. I was asked to drop the last 10 feet of stem. I said "well, ok.". Saw walked out right across my thigh on the chaps. Never again I say!.

I actually applaud your call on finish the stump the next day. When you are done.. You are done.. I have the chaps to prove the point. I said I was done once. I was asked to drop the last 10 feet of stem. I said "well, ok.". Saw walked out right across my thigh on the chaps. Never again I say!.

Me too, I got a 4 inch wide scar on my knee from a stump cut at dusk many years ago when exhausted. The stump took an hour, clean up another hour beyond that and we were off to something else. Was given a $200 tip and many compliments. He is a Delta pilot and watched every move we made as he was not flying yesterday. Nice to get a little love.

Got a couple of end of the job picts if I can ever find the camera. Later I guess.

I have a $50,000 dollar scar from brushing on my left knee from not listening to my inner voice.. I totally relate.

I'd like to hear that story if you feel like talking about it.

I was working on a slope with a sprained ankle. Cutting brush on my hands and knees with a 16" saw. Something small and maneuverable in tight quarters. The handle on the saw came apart. Basically making the saw I had not really usable. My partner told me to just go get the 20" saw and keep on going. When I picked up the saw and crawled back into the underbrush it felt all wrong. Too much saw (55cc), too much bar and my balance was bad on the sprained ankle. I no sooner went ahead and made my first cut, it went through the brush and came back to my knee. Twas only a flesh wound on the knee cap but good enough for a trip to the ER for some stitches. Get my antibiotics and go home.. Week later, I wake up in the middle of the night with a fever. Infection! Back to the hospital, get pumped full of antibiotics but they suspect it may have infected the bone. So off to Stanford hospital for a 3 day stay on my B day for tests, monitoring and more antibiotics.
My not listening to my inner voice came to 50,000.00, a few weeks off of lost pay, and about losing my mind sitting around a house.
Inner voice had also said have Dr. give me more than 5 days of antibiotics, but I kept my mouth shut and look what happened.
I should have stayed off my ankle and let it heal, not got too big a saw to work in underbrush, and, and and.......

So now days, when my lil voice goes off.... I walk away and live another day ;) And I have the $50,000.00 scar to remind me....

There ya have it....

I went a whole 30 years before I needed to get stitched up from a chainsaw wound.

First was from wearing baggy long sleeved shirts that pulled my ms200 into my left forearm while holding a branch that I had just cut and get too close to my chain idling down after the cut, caught the sleeve pulling the chain into my left arm, 8 stitches, no muscle or tendon damage.

The same arm was hit again more recently in a young mex fan palm cleaning long collar stubs in close to the trunk with my ms200. My mistake this time was having my lanyard too snug on the trunk, not giving me enough distance when the saw kicked back on me despite having both hands on it this time! Caught me across the upper tricep just enough to need 12 shallow stitches this time, again with no muscle or tendon damage.

Luck of the Irish!

jomoco

Back