gettin' ready

• Thread starter Treevet
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 7K
I got it on the knee a few years ago from a 440. When i felt the vibration in my leg and the tugging at my jeans, I didnt look right down to see what the commotion was..........I knew.

I've had to tourniquet up some very nasty femoral artery leg wounds from a 44 chainsaw hit, stuff him in my truck, and haul azz to the nearest emergency room breaking every traffic rule in the book along the way including busting across parking lots and through hedges to get him there before bleeding to death in my truck, but we made it!

He quit this biz that day, and now happily flips pizzas downtown for a living.

Very close call though!

jomoco

Yes MB, that celox gauze and pnuematic arm and leg pressure splints are a great addition to every woodsmans truck firstaid kit.

The Bailey's woodsman kit, the big one is in my truck along with an assortment of airsplints.

I want to get a folding aluminum stretcher that fits in a bag next.

jomoco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have 4 chainsaw cuts over the 4 decades. No stitches or lost time involved. Taken couple of pretty nasty falls tho.

I have had only one bad employee accident, about 30 years ago. I had my climber call in and said he was hung over. I said come in and work the ground. I left the job to get gas and stopped at office and ex wife told me gm called and said climber had been hit in the face with a chainsaw.

I went to the hospital and his head was wrapped in cloth like the invisible man. I am sitting behind the door when his sister came in and said she couldn't believe he had worked as she was still f'd up all morning from the acid they dropped late that night. He had cut his eyelid apart and could see out of his eye with it closed. Didn't hit his eyeball. Unlike Jon's luck, he was named Murphy and kept saying "Murphy's Law" (anything that can go wrong, will go wrong). Lucky he did not hit the eyeball tho.

9 stitches in my left hand, Zubat 330. 3 toothmarks in my right knee, twice, Zubat 330. :)

Sharp lil bastards! Careful with that thang Paul ! Boy they sure do cut limbs though.

I only have fallen once so far, but only till I hit the flip line. Only 4 foot. Made my chiropractor happy. Did not have all my slack tended :P DOH! Least I was roped off on one of two.

9 stitches in my left hand, Zubat 330. 3 toothmarks in my right knee, twice, Zubat 330. :)

I got a nasty cut on my left thumb under the nail. Duma$$ new groundie walks right under big oak cut back and I had to grab the branch to save his ass and put the hand and saw together in the same place at the same time.

Were you cutting one handed and holding when that happened?

What's a Zubat (chainsaw?)

Zubat is a Silky handsaw. I was cutting a 4x4 from right to left and left my left hand in the follow through area, it gouged me with three teeth across the area between my thumb and pointy finger.

Attachments

• p1010004.jpg
    p1010004.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
Zubat is a Silky handsaw. I was cutting a 4x4 from right to left and left my left hand in the follow through area, it gouged me with three teeth across the area between my thumb and pointy finger.

Those stitches look like they pulled out? You like me and ignore doctor and go ahead and work anyway?

I worked within reason and I think they dissolved on their own, I remember pulling them out of my hand a week or so after they were put in.

Sharp lil bastards! Careful with that thang Paul ! Boy they sure do cut limbs though.

I only have fallen once so far, but only till I hit the flip line. Only 4 foot. Made my chiropractor happy. Did not have all my slack tended :P DOH! Least I was roped off on one of two.

I took a 50 foot fall when free climbing on a humid morning I slipped on a mass of lichens. Luckily landed half way down and broke my fall but also broke 4 ribs and punctured my lung when rolling over in bed later. We used to all free climb to a tie in back in the day.

You are lucky you did not break that ascend er, I do not think they are meant for much shock load.

Petzel Macrograb on a 5/8 cable core flip line. The adjuster works just fine and did not even flinch at my 150 lbs hitting it. The stop was a tad harsh when I hit the line... Cable core did not flinch either LOL

Petzel Macrograb on a 5/8 cable core flip line. The adjuster works just fine and did not even flinch at my 150 lbs hitting it. The stop was a tad harsh when I hit the line... Cable core did not flinch either LOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but your 150lb doubles every foot you fall so that is a pretty good shock load on that device. Wonder what they are capable of as that is likely the weak link in the chain. The saddle hook up or the 5/8 cable core probably are stronger IMO.

Here's a few more picts of the (boring) end of this job we finished in a couple of hours the next day.

As far as gettin ready....we had lined up a home for the chips around the same block, the stump grindings went to a convent next to my lot and the wood went in the lot. Lots of the material up to 20" got chipped. The rakings got buried under the chips. We have a permanent home for chips at a plant that is run by them. We have a home for non sell able wood (by me) too. Clean trucks asap so it doesn't hinder the next job.

The wires were taken down a half hour prior to starting and they were nice enough to drop the cable and phone too. Duke Energy came back within 20 minutes of our call and put them back up. I was amazed. We spoke with the neighbors prior to starting and they were cool with everything.

The set up is half the battle in a smooth job IMO.
attachment.php

Don't know why I am getting double picts. I am working on this picture thing while in this thread.

Attachments

• DSC01265.JPG
    DSC01265.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC01266.JPG
    DSC01266.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01268.JPG
    DSC01268.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC01270.JPG
    DSC01270.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC01272.JPG
    DSC01272.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01273.JPG
    DSC01273.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01275.JPG
    DSC01275.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01276.JPG
    DSC01276.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01278.JPG
    DSC01278.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 86
You've surely got alot of equipment!

I would have more if I had more space. City space is hard to come by. I have operated for my 40 years with just one employee, gm, and equipment makes it all easier. Old stuff lets you duplicate and accumulate more and the payments come in repairs rather than loan payments. I have been updating as I can afford to.

It is fun buying stuff.

crotches will get separated and thrown away or given away when a load is accumulated. The tw5 will split it all tho. We can boom it on the splitter, use the log lift on the splitter or Dingo or Bobcat them on. It is such nice wood to burn. I would usually throw away most of those biggies if not oak. That is one of the nice thing about keeping my truck crane right in the middle of the lot.

crotches will get separated and thrown away or given away when a load is accumulated. The tw5 will split it all tho. We can boom it on the splitter, use the log lift on the splitter or Dingo or Bobcat them on. It is such nice wood to burn. I would usually throw away most of those biggies if not oak. That is one of the nice thing about keeping my truck crane right in the middle of the lot.

That tree should have quite a bit of fire wood in it...

yeah, Nick, and we got $250 cord delivered and dumped last year. Hope that continues or improves this year. Gotta find the right buyers. What co. in Anderson are you hooked up with?

Back