Gerald Beranek donation thread (OLD THREAD!)

Donations for Jerry

• Yes!

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Hmmmmm...

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Having a hard time posting on this thread. Gerry is not the kind of guy who takes charity.
He did not even let his friend buy the whisky yesterday.
So the idea of buying his books is great. For those of you who already have a book, so buy another one.

About those books. To order a batch takes all the money from the last batch. Kind of a circle of buying and selling without much profit.

I bet Butch does not make any money on those T-shirts.

so buying books will help him in the long run. And make him feel good.

Gerry better sign on fairly soon, or he is gonna be in big trouble with me. :)

I think that it is a mistake to look at these offers of support as charity.

This is coming from a bunch of people who have an intimate understanding of how fragile our body, and by extension our ability to do the things we do to keep hearth and home together, really is. We recognize Gerry as one of our own, one who has our deepest admiration. Wishing to help him is based not on philanthropic urges, but on a desire to give back to him just a tiny bit of the value of the wisdom and training he has shared with our community of treemen.

Gerry, if you read this, please know that allowing us to offer our support is a gift you make back to us. We hate to see this sort of thing happen to anyone of our tribe. We sometimes fear it happening to ourselves. We have a level of empathy with your situation that goes beyond mere charity. This is respect we offer.

Maybe we should all send all our money to one location, then send 1 check to him with a well drafted letter explaining simply that we DEMAND he use it.

love
nick

I think that it is a mistake to look at these offers of support as charity.

This is coming from a bunch of people who have an intimate understanding of how fragile our body, and by extension our ability to do the things we do to keep hearth and home together, really is. We recognize Gerry as one of our own, one who has our deepest admiration. Wishing to help him is based not on philanthropic urges, but on a desire to give back to him just a tiny bit of the value of the wisdom and training he has shared with our community of treemen.

Gerry, if you read this, please know that allowing us to offer our support is a gift you make back to us. We hate to see this sort of thing happen to anyone of our tribe. We sometimes fear it happening to ourselves. We have a level of empathy with your situation that goes beyond mere charity. This is respect we offer.
-----------------------
-----------------------

Very well stated!

HC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe we should all send all our money to one location, then send 1 check to him with a well drafted letter explaining simply that we DEMAND he use it.

love
nick

Let's not complicate it any more than necessary. I talked to him and he said the same thing I woulda said if I'd of known about the donations for me... I didn't need the money, but I really did.
I'm sending him some cash, he might be tempted to tear up a check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frans was the one who brought it to our attention that Jerry's injury was hurting him financially.

Who voted no?

Why?

Me

If you want to show appreciation, say get well soon, etc. just do it, send flowers, cards, a bottle of hooch, etc. Money is great and all but any tree man worth his salt who has been at the game that long, has a rainy day fund.

I personally have 2 of his books, both autographed :thumbup:

When I cut my tendons back in 05, it sucked. Monetarily, I could deal with it as I took my 6 weeks of healing over what was a planned vacation so luckily time missed was only 3 days.

What I needed more than anything was support to let me know I could get back in the trees again.

I haven't been the most supportive, I have no sponsor next to my name, no Tshirt (they are coming out of my ears), but I have 2 of Beranek's books. Things are tough for everyone and all is relative. I am in a new career which of course means save, save, save because you never know when it will be tits up. Plus I am looking at starting a family and getting a house. I am happy to do what I can when I can, but when money goes out the window, love is sure to follow.

If I recall, Jer is self published - that means it may take a while to recoup his printing costs but after that, it is gravy. If you have aa publisher, you only get 20% or less. By ready his books, it is easy to see he did it for the love of the work, not the $$.

Yes, live and let live.

I hope to make contributions that will be greater than a 20 spot or Benjamin by giving back to the profession that has given so much to me. I choose to do that by focusing on long term goals and where I want to be in 10-20 years. It would be nice to have enough to start a foundation, etc. - something greater than a few Jacksons in an envelope. I am working everyday to help out, it is the steady drop that wears the stone.

yeah, I've been called a dreamer.

Sorry people, but there is no way i am donating money to someone just because they are a treeclimber!! thats insane, That would be like donating money to someone just because they do the same job as you.
If i had an accident and was laid up, there is no way i would expect a donation from other climbers I'd never met.
I think gerald beranek is a great climber and he would respect my opinion and i reckon he would probably agree with me.

I think this is the link to Gerry's book sales website. I am thinking I will order a copy of High Climbers and donate it to the local university (UBC) library. UBC has a good forestry program and this way it might do as Nate suggests and help many as well as helping one.

http://www.atreestory.com/books.html

I'm sure from reading his books that he's a humble man so maybe he would agree with you. He has made a great contribution to treework through his pictures and writing. Have you read the mans books? The time and knowledge imparted in those pages are worth much more than the price of admission.

No one is considering donating just because he's a treeclimber. He's a treeclimber who has done much more for the industry than just climb and cut trees like most of us. Certainly you wouldn't expect a donation from climbers that you've never met but maybe if you make some great contribution of your own then climbers who had never met you would send you a donation if you happened to be injured. And if you already have and I don't know about it, sorry :P .

Have you read the mans books?
Yup, and since I am taking a rain / office day, I think Imight have to flip through high climbers for a few minutes over a cup of tea.

Thanks for the books Gerry, and damnit, get well soon! :) You gotta get back up in those trees man, otherwise Frans might try and retrain you for groundwork ! :O :D

Probably Frans

:lol:
I did not vote on this as I already am doing what I can to help him out.
By the way vharrison, I sure like that screaming yellow shirt you sent me. Very comfortable and good construction.

Could someone please tell me who those wierd looking people are?

The one on left looks like a dorkus trying to pretend he is playing the guitar, but i play the guitar and it is obvious for all to see that he has never played a guitar in his whole life, welll not properly anyway.

Good on ya Treetx. If I get my way then hopefully I'll be able to make some kind of a contribution someday as well. Until then learn, learn, learn

Back