Gardening - Growing Your Own.

My wife had a brainwave and planted some potatoes in wood chip.

Has worked well, cropping earlier than those in the earth.

We harvest early to keep them small and tasty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 45
Stew potatoes! Funny deal here, people grow the hell out of potatoes, but barely eat them. I love 'em. Interesting about the chips.

Nope, she just threw them in there, always damp and warm. It is well over a year old mind (the chip pile, so well rotted) I don't know specifically what trees the chip came from in case someone asks.

Next year we won't bother putting them in the ground at all

I had late blight on my staked tomatoes one year. Tons of green fruit and bang, all dead. It was on soil never planted to a garden before, so kind of limits it to airborne. Copper is supposed to prevent it.

Bud, I read that some species of tomatoes are more resistant to blight than others, recommended to buy the stronger ones. Who the hell knows with tomatoes in Asia? I did read about the copper spray too, and the people that say to yank the infected plants immediately and take them down wind fifty miles, or there will be no tomorrow.

Hella thread!

Custy today gave me a lot of 2 kinds of lettuce and some kale, most of the lettuce was down the hatch before I made the 2 miles home. And now I have good kale ideas from you blokes. :drink:

I've got this big fat ground hog that lives under my shed and likes to help himself to my garden .I've also got an electric fence around my raised bed which I forgot to plug in and damned if he didn't eat a half a row of green beans . Well I got one culprit today,a mouse ,grave yard dead .

In a way old"Phil" kind of is a pet .He was like my adopted coon.just a little chit when he first showed up but like "Rocky" he grew .Phil has enough body weight the fence would not be fatal but it would knock him on his butt .

Here's what happens with ground hogs .They of course hibernate but about late Feb,early March the males wake up and scout out where the females are then resume their nap .When the time is ripe the males go courting ,first come first served so to speak ,If they dilly dally some other gets the prize .Baby grounds hogs are a hoot,they romp around like kittens .

Climate more than likely .The same reason we don't have gators .If we did it would be the northern fur bearing type .

Lots of prarie dogs here, a keystone species. They are going by the wayside, to many parking lots. Something like 32 other animals will go with them.

Our garden is going quite well this year...

IMG_20160626_150455163.jpg

Can't eat em, but I think I'm most excited about these ladies!

IMG_20160626_150510757.jpg

Last year was so dry it didn't do good .This year I got the jump on it and laid out the soaker hoses .Figures,this year we've had ample rain .I gave every thing a shot of Miracle Grow last afternoon .I'll give it another in about a week .

I need to tend to my garden more!! My nieghbor is ready to do his first pepper picking and I've got 3 peppers and they aren't even close to ready. I know he cheats and uses miracle grow but this is rediculous. I could almost mow the weeds down between the rows. One thing I've noticed though is the ground stays moist much longer since I haven't kept up with the weeds. Problem is they're taking all the nutrients from my plants.

Back