G F Beranek .. Better w/ Age like "vintage" ... Redwood Books

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Enjoyed a few more pages tonight in the Humboldt book.

Got me thinking about keeping my water shoes in the van more often when i head down.

That is funny, Mario.
I had the same thought.
Might have to ford the Eel, next time I want to climb Redwoods.

Excellent book, the whole outline of how the parks came to be is a good read.

Those river rocks are tough on tender feet. Best to keep your water shoes handy. There's a lot to see on the other side of the river.

Those river rocks are tough on tender feet. Best to keep your water shoes handy. There's a lot to see on the other side of the river.

Tonight I read the "Yoda" page ... p. 149

"but clover this native is not"

lol

After peering at Felton Grove last December, I hope to visit before summer. I noticed a big turnout shown on Google Earth, along Hy. 101, about 1/4 mile walk from where I think there may be spot to approach from the other side.

The thought that few people go there makes it seem more appealing.

I know the pullout you're talking about, Mario, and I considered doing just what you're thinking about doing, but then the thought of climbing back up the mountain to get back to the car really didn't appeal to me. My ankles can't take the steep ground quite as well as they used to.

For the rugged nature of all that ground I'll bet it's the least trod piece of land in the entire park. And there's a lot more ground than it appears on the map.

I know the pullout you're talking about, Mario, and I considered doing just what you're thinking about doing, but then the thought of climbing back up the mountain to get back to the car really didn't appeal to me. My ankles can't take the steep ground quite as well as they used to.

For the rugged nature of all that ground I'll bet it's the least trod piece of land in the entire park. And there's a lot more ground than it appears on the map.

I didn't get a close look at the grade, but I'm guessing less vigorous than the bushwhacks with Atkins all day in Redwood National Park, several times. But I would travel light. I don't leave camera gear in my van. So I would park and scramble down with just one lens on camera and maybe one extra.

The "least trod" nature of it is a particularly big lure for me. Sounds like a place to go early so I have most of the day.

Too bad there isn't a descent enough pullout along the highway closer to the Eagle Point viaduct. At least there you could hike down the ridge to the river instead of the slopes, and it would put you much closer to the ground above Griffin and Felton Groves, too, and the west side of the peninsula.

That pullout is much farther up the river than you think. By highway it's only a third of a mile from the viaduct, but by the river its over 2 miles. So consider that.

Wish my ankles could handle it. Luck! and take lots of photos!

P.S. We just finished editing the Prairie Creek Redwoods book today and the files will be off to the printer on Monday. So publication is a couple months away, if not sooner. Jer did a fantastic job on this new book, I can't wait to see it!

P.S. We just finished editing the Prairie Creek Redwoods book today and the files will be off to the printer on Monday. So publication is a couple months away, if not sooner. Jer did a fantastic job on this new book, I can't wait to see it!

Hey Ter, let us know when its out!

Luv the Navarro book ;) ;)

Too bad there isn't a descent enough pullout along the highway closer to the Eagle Point viaduct. At least there you could hike down the ridge to the river instead of the slopes, and it would put you much closer to the ground above Griffin and Felton Groves, too, and the west side of the peninsula.

That pullout is much farther up the river than you think. By highway it's only a third of a mile from the viaduct, but by the river its over 2 miles. So consider that.

Wish my ankles could handle it. Luck! and take lots of photos!

Went down to Humboldt and parked at that turnout. Just as I was putting on my hiking boots, a highway patrol car stops to see if all is okay, and when I mention walking up to go into that grove, the officer says its not available because they will cite people walking the edge of the highway. Although he said I could park up to 4 hours if I could go into the woods and cross over. But the edge is too steep there to to that. Looks like a wait until next summer, unless I find a taxi there to drop and pick me up at set times ... lol

I could do that for you, Mario. Not a problem. Let me know when you want to do it.

Thank you for the offer. Selling our house and hopefully moving to Southern Oregon may keep my redwood wanderings more contained for a few months though.

I sent an email to confirm an address. I was double checking the P O Box for Beranek Productions shown at atreestory.com.
Thought I'd post here too in case. Got a copy of something to mail you.

Back