Freebies!

Bighotpastrami

Chief Wood Chucker
Picked up these two beauties today for FREE! I know I know, I suck. Especially cause I'm the new guy to the forum.
y6umyser.jpg
7ynaze3e.jpg
ebeje2y8.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I love working on small engines, especially chainsaws. From what I hear the 038 is a killer saw, the 58g is slow but unstoppable.

It's a good very durable saw, albeit a little heavy compared to today's standards. The whole series, 034, 036, and 038 are great saws. I have worked on them, but there is a fellow at the site here, named, Al, who is an expert on the 038. A good guy to confer with if something comes up.

So, I pulled the muff off the 038, the cylinder looks good. Replaced the spark plug, replaced pull rope and checked compression. 157 psi. Put new fuel in it and started it and it ran for about a second. Couldn't get it to start after that, so I dumped the fuel to start checking the fuel system and look what popped out.
nururyhe.jpg
e2y9udun.jpg

I've never seen one melt like that. Pretty sure all it needs is a fuel hose! Score.

It can be a good mix of fuel, but if left in the tank long enough, the filter will sometimes melt.

I'm thinking that if the filter has suffered like that, the carb likely needs rebuilding. or at least the diaphragms replaced and the carb cleaned..

It did fire and run or a second. Going to get a new fuel line today and we'll see. I'll be surprised if I don't have to rebuild the carb.

I put a new fuel line in it and it runs GREAT. I love this saw. Now I just have to convince my wife to let it sleep in the bed with me.

Thanks man. I don't think so, there are some on Fleabay for 80-90$. I guess it's more of a novelty saw than anything.

I took the 038 super to work with me today, I'm very impressed with the power that saw has. Puts my ms362 to shame and comes close to the 441 mag. I love it.

Haha. I think I like the saw enough to keep it. My wife's grandfather bought it new a LOOOONG time ago.

IMO the 038 Mag is one of Stihl finest .Too bad they stopped making them .You can put enough soup on that thing to run neck and neck with a stock MS 660 .

I have a built 38mag and that saw is a saw and a half.

My 038 super is losing power and bogging down now.... Might need to go through the carb. Was running awesome then got slow and gutless. Will the mag cylinders fit the super saws?

Back